Strange smudges on the material

I am creating a scene where I need to use quite a reflective material, however, there are strange marks coming up, I’m guessing they first showed up when I built the lighting. The 3 cylinders were first brushes, the I converted them into static meshes. The smudges were there in both cases.

Any idea what might cause it and how to fix it? I’ve turned all the shadows off so it’s not that

Thanks a lot

That’s a smoothing group issue. You need to go back to your modeling program and add edges along those faces wherever necessary.

Hello riesena,

Firstly would you mind providing me with a screenshot of your material set up for the object you are having issues with?

Also, is this a completely flat surface? I ask because reflections in the Engine have some trouble rendering completely flat surface. Usually adding some noise or a texture to break up the flatness can help.

Thank you,

The material is just a simple solid colour material with some smoothness constant.

They were default cylinder brushes converted into static meshes. I have modeled them myself in the modeling program and they seem to be okay now.

Thanks for your help!

They were default cylinder brushes converted into static meshes. I have modeled them myself in the modeling program and they seem to be okay now.

Thanks for your help!