Strange artifact in reflection capture

Hello, everyone.
This is my first post on the AnswerHub. Hopefully someone will be able to help me :slight_smile:

I have this bathroom scene with a mirror covering the whole width of a wall. I set it up with a metallic reflective material and a reflection capture. The quality/resolution of the reflection is not great, but that is not the main issue…

The real problem is that the ‘captured’ scene in the mirror appears with huge artifact covering a big part of the reflected image. It effectively ‘blocks’ the view of most of the opposite end of the bathroom. Please check the image below; it is the big grey mass you can see close to the centre:

I tried to use a sphere capture actor instead of a box, I tried to move its position, change its scale, fiddle with some of its capture parameters… to no avail.
Funny thing is that the artifact appears somehow to have a specific geometry… When you move the capture actor, you can see the scene changing in perspective, etc., but the artifact seems to keep its form. Almost as if there was a ‘ghost’ mesh in the scene that only the capture actors could see!..

Below you can see the rest of the bathroom through the eyes of the player.

Has anyone got any ideas regarding this situation?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Why does no one help people in need? My team has the same problem and I will let you know if I can find an answer for you. This seems to have something to do with screen space reflections in our case… not sure if this helps you. (please let me know if you managed to solve this too.)

ok so I have made a few connections. Looks like it might have something to do with the lower hemisphere color of your skylight (if you have one). You can find this setting under the skylight Details under “Light” dropdown menu. Seems to be the cause in my case at least.

Scratch that, the skylight seems to change the color but it is unclear if it is actually CAUSED by the skylight. Will keep looking into this.

Ok so I would try using a “scene capture cube” you can find these in the default “place actors” tab. Move one into the center of your room and then create a “Cube render target” for it to draw to. Just drag and drop your Cube render target onto the “Texture Target” under your Scene Capture Cube. From there, right click on your Cube Render Target asset and select “Create Static Texture.” This will give you a cubemap texture to assign to your sphere reflection capture (make sure to set the settings of the sphere reflection capture to “Specified Cubemap” under the “Reflection Source Type” setting.) that should be free of this strange anomaly. Let me know if this works.

Ok so I would try using a “scene capture cube” you can find these in the default “place actors” tab. Move one into the center of your room and then create a “Cube render target” for it to draw to. Just drag and drop your Cube render target onto the “Texture Target” under your Scene Capture Cube. From there, right click on your Cube Render Target asset and select “Create Static Texture.” This will give you a cubemap texture to assign to your sphere reflection capture (make sure to set the settings of the sphere reflection capture to “Specified Cubemap” under the “Reflection Source Type” setting.) that should be free of this strange anomaly. LASTLY REMEMBER TO BAKE YOUR REFLECTIONS IN THE BUILD DROPDOWN!!! Let me know if this works.