Status of Network Prediction Plugin - looking for Epic response

Looking for a response from Epic: Is the Network Prediction plugin abandoned now that Dave Ratti is gone? (thank you for your hard work, Dave!)
I think this could have easily been one of the best features coming to the engine but it seems that hope is lost for it being finished and usable

11 Likes

I would like to know this, too. At the moment it crashes in PIE when you play as a client or with more than 1 player.

4 Likes

Any communication on the subject would be helpful, even if the answer is “we don’t know yet”.

As far as I can tell, the Network Prediction Plugin is used in Fortnite (see the search results in VS there Network Prediction Insights Part 1 - YouTube). If that is correct, that leads me to believe it will be receiving updates as part of Fortnite’s development.

Looking forward to an update from Epic! :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s also the new Iris experimental replication netcode. It appears to be separate from NP, but it would be interesting to know more about it, and whether there are plans to salvage NP and make it compatible with Iris.

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/4aae8d3ed0bc8c1a6c293c780413e2c5f35150e8#diff-2731bf5b124802178b02a5900665f41a70616fae57b78549b3adec0c9c47e8dd

This module is an internal R&D effort to explore how we can implement a high performant replication system

3 Likes

There’s new information here [5.1 roadmap].

No sign of NPP, but Iris seems promising.

Iris replication
The goal of Iris is to enable richer multiplayer experiences in Unreal Engine that “just work”, with larger, more interactive worlds, higher player counts, lower ping for players, and lower server costs.

This is the first iteration of the Iris replication system; the feature is considered Experimental.

Replication Performance Improvements
Enhancements to further optimize performance when using push model replication include:

• Actors with fully push-based replicated properties that change infrequently will be processed faster.
  • Optimized processing for fully push-based replicated actor components.
  • Added a new opt-in API that enables optimized processing for fully push-based replicated subobjects.
1 Like

Hey all—The team let me know that the Network Prediction Plugin is not currently under active development beyond general support and bug fixes, but do intend to return efforts to it at some point.

11 Likes

Hello Amanda. Thank you for clarifying the situation. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any update on this? :slight_smile:

Any update on this? How does the new async tick physics/ chaos fixed update system work with networked prediction? Is deterministic physics still a priority?

1 Like

Apparently, this is being used by the new Mover plugin, which surpasses the CMC. As you can see here and also used by the alternative movement discussed on video.

1 Like