SPACE - Volumetric shadows from a point light

Hey! I can’t seem to figure out a way to achieve this volumetric shadow look from my point that emanating from the sun.
I’m wondering if any of you have ideas of how this can be achieved?

Thanks a million!

5914911bcde45e8c8667698521e16cd6845acbf3.jpeg

It’s hard to achieve this effect in standard ue4 version. But if you have enough experience, you can try to implement true volumetric system in engine, something like NVIDIA Volumetric Lighting | NVIDIA Developer or Physically-based & Unified Volumetric Rendering in Frostbite - Frostbite .

Thanks Yura… bit of a shame it’s not already in the engine. I’m not a programmer I just do blueprint scripting. Do you have any experience with implementing the Nvidia Volumetric Lighting? How hard is it :S

I see a similar effect in 4.10 and 4.11.
I have attached a light to a ball(player) and it does something similar to what you are looking for.

HTH

But is the shadow that’s on the ground? Or in the air/fog?

UE4 doesn’t have any way of doing this at the moment, there was someone doing their own implementation but I haven’t seen that develop fully. I expect it will be added to the engine eventually, but no idea when that will be. It’s becoming a new standard effect from many other games so it’s just a matter of time.

here’s my attempt I tried over the last couple of days. its expensive and doesn’t seem to work during play (only editor).

Parent a black transluscent mesh to the planets and write a blueprint script to rotate them around the sun at the same rate as the planets using the sun as the origin point. You won’t be able to tell the difference, if you’re only going to be using it for things like this at that far away.

Yeah I was thinking about that. It would of been nice to have beautiful volumetric fog but I’ll hack it. Thanks!

I have a pretty WIP system for something like this, you can use it/try and build off of it if you’d like, best of luck!

It’s on the ground, Hence why I said similar.

Thanks for the reply Hippowombat, i’ll check try that out!