Something is wrong with my shadows.

I am using Lumen.

Alrightly. I’ll lay out it all for anyone in the future reading. You know how I mentioned temporal filters? Lumen by itself is temporal but only in the lighting scene.

A more in depth explanation how lumen works and why the lighting is so slow

You can see what I mean when you lower r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.Temporal.MaxFramesAccumulated from the default from 10.0 to 2.0 or 1.0.
When at 1.0, its blending VERY few frames together which is why the GI flickers to much.

As for 10.0, it flickers less but still has flickering without a temporal filter like TAA, DLSS, TSR etc. I’m pretty sure Epic Games exspects most people to slap on a temporal filter to hide the 10.0 flickering. I instead bump it up to 25.0 which is the bare minimum on a complex scene to get rid of flickering. But 25.0 does have issues when and object is moving and or rotation. The background lighting will smudge on that rotating mesh. But imo it’s still better than having the whole image blurred.

NOTE: When changing r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.Temporal.MaxFramesAccumulated use the console variable plugin and watch the output log because I have typed in the command and the console will react the 25 value resulting in no change.

So because it’s temporal, quick flashing lights will never go from completely off to on. Its always gradual.

a simple randomized emissive material

Ah, Emmisives, especially small and/or bright ones apparently have consistency problems with lumen. You have to keep them dim and large or artifacts will appear.(Lumen documentation and feedback thread).

first selectable shadow map

Okay, that’s fine as long at you have the Distance field shadows replacing the Shadow Maps after they cull from extremely large camera distances. Or that might not matter for you’re project.

-LOD’s. Nanite somehow lowered my FPS. I guess I don’t know how to use it correctly.

Lol, yeah I did a whole post on the performance comparisons. Nanite performance is not better than LODS [TEST RESULTS]. Fix your documentation Epic. You're ruining games. -Anyone reading this needs to see this comparison.

Since I changed to MSAA

If you are not in forward rendering(which you are not since you are using Lumen). MSAA will default to no AA FXAA, TAA and TSR are your only options. And FXAA/cinematic is 30x cheaper than TAA(so free). It will get rid of jaggies. MSAA isn’t doing anything.

2 Likes