Snappy Roads Blueprint Tool: Announce and Support Thread

@gotgrassct You will need to split long road in two, please watch this video for a quick howto: Sneak peek at some upcoming features: Split and join roads (WIP) - YouTube. You may also need to add additional points at both sides of a split area(like seen in the video) to preserve road shape.

It looks like those features aren’t available yet.

i don’t have those options like the one’s in the video.

Make sure you have updated to the latest version. You will need to use “Align To Road” and then “Split”.

Hi great product,

Couple of requests for consideration.
Could enable collision for the spline meshes be made a public variable ?
My own experience of working with large splines is that turning collision off make manipulation much easier (then turn back on)

would it be possible to enable roll at spline points to give banked track ?

Also second the call to be able to add actors along the spline

Regards

Paul G

Hi, Thanks for suggestions, I will implement them in the next feature update. Spline has a public collision variable, it’s called “Collision Preset”. It can be set to “NoCollision”.

Do you have any plans in adding Y split intersections to merge single roads into double and also to split off double in to single roads?

I’ve duplicated a T-Intersection and moved the sockets to be a Y intersection and it works but I still need to make a new mesh for that intersection.

hey, i recreated ur bp in 4.16 for my squad map, but i’m having a bit of an issue, do u know where i ■■■■■■ up during recreation?

want me to send bp to u to check it for urself?

Hi
Yep I found the public collision variable… I believe there is a struct (in the engine) that gives you all collision choices in a drop down which you may wish to consider using.

I was surprised to find that turning off collisions did not improve the manipulation of large splines,
So thinking that my rail meshes are a bit heavy on polys I deleted every mesh from the spline and was very surprised to find that manipulation was still very difficult, (the same)

My spline had 10 points was around 1000m long and no meshes at all .

I then placed a new snappy_road_BP and before I edited the spline I again removed all meshes, the laid an empty spline as per the original, manipukation was smooth and effortless, in direct contrast to the original spline .

To test
Place 2 Snappy road BPs in level
On one remove every mesh reference,
Pull out both splines and the empty one will be easier to manipulate (as expected)

Now delete all meshes from the other spline and try the manipulation, (my test examples showed no difference after delaeting the meshes)

Needs some sort of reset ?

Regards

Paul G

@Handkor
Yes, I can add Y intersections.

@LoRDHitMan
Image you’ve provided cannot be viewed without registration. You can send me bp to my public e-mail.

@Sly401
I’m going to implement On/Off toggle for performance heavy computations and look into how things may be better optimized. As a workaround you can temporarily set Spline->XScale to a large value, greater value results in greater performance.

@GlimpseOfDawn nvm, fixed it after 3 days of headaches

Not sure if you missed my point,
So just to clarify

If a large spline is laid out with all mesh elements set to null it can be edited easily.(great)

If you lay out a large spline with mesh elements … editing is extremely difficult. (to be expected)
If then all mesh elements are subsequently set to null… no difference is seen (strange)

The conclusion being that setting mesh elements to null is not clearing the references to meshes

This worries me If the references are not being cleared, it could well cause problems further down the road ( pun)

Also for your consideration
I have only seen end meshes available with 3 sockets Left, Up, Right
Consider having “n” amount of sockets eg Left1, Left2, Up , Right1, Right2, Right3

Cheers

Paul G

Yes, I understand that, need to have a closer look where those references may be stored.

You can actually have as many sockets as you want and name them whatever you like. There are only two functions(“AlignToRoad” & “Split”) where “Right” and/or “Left” names are used.

Hello @GlimpseOfDawn, We’re using your BP for our game and so far the only issue I’m having is that the paint functionality doesn’t work. It works on your own sample map, but not for our own. Our landscape layers are setup using LandscapeLayerBlend nodes so it’s pretty standard. Can you let me know what I’m missing? Thanks in advance.

Hey @GlimpseOfDawn. Firstly, great work with the tool. I’ve tried pretty much every Marketplace road tool and snappy roads is my go-to.
A few things I’ve noticed in the current build (maybe bugs)
The ATS function consistently places the spline several meteres above the landscape surface, even when I set the offset to zero.
The ‘Snap’ function appears to not work at all - I assume it should snap the endpoint of a SR blueprint actor to the endpoint of another SRactor within range?Or maybe I’m using it wrong…

also, a few feature requests

• It would be great to be able to override the material of the static meshes for each SR blueprint instance so we can create more varied surfaces while using the same static meshes,.
  • I’ve been using the ‘curbonly’ mesh a lot to do complex road edges. These are often closed loops (for city blocks). Would it be possible to ‘fill’ these loops so the entire area within the spline is a mesh (using triangle fan or similar). At present I scale the curb mesh outwards but it’s creates overlapping sections and messes up the texture scale.
  • Could we get a spline node that will create a ‘hard’ angle instead of a curved one? Currently I have to add several points and decrease the x scale a lot to do this.

Cheers!

Hello @Maximum-Dev, In order for the paint functionality to work, you need to populate “Paint Layer Info” array with your Layers. You can find it if you open BP_SnappyRoad, expand Macros section and double click on “SetLandscapeLayerInfo” macros to open it. There is no other way to do it right now.

Hey @jimjimma Thanks. ATS function takes into consideration mesh height you are currently using. To counter it, check “Auto Calculated Height” value and put it with a minus sign in “ATS Offset” field.
Snap function snaps either endpoint of a spline to intersection mesh sockets only. If there is no intersection or no socket, it will not snap.

Thanks for the suggestions these are great ones, I’ve thought about it myself and will implement them in the future updates.

If you use ‘curbonly’ mesh, you can raise landscape in the middle with Flatten Tool, in similar way a parking lot was made.

Best Regards

Got that working, thanks to you.
But as soon as I used the spline to paint grass (right side) it turned the manually painted grass parts of the entire component to look somewhat wrong (left side).
Any ideas about that?

https://i.imgur.com/LULzxAP.jpg

And one more question, with spline having ~7 points it becomes laggy to move it around, roads tend to need tens of points all along, is there anything I can do to improve that?

Hello, this tools looks great! I’m using Linux currently for development. Is the tool 100% blueprint and is Linux supported?