Snappy Roads Blueprint Tool: Announce and Support Thread

New features that is always ok but doubling the price with no previous warning about that is far from good. So those that bought it before are getting new features for free at the cheaper price and whoever wanted to buy it didn’t know that with new features the price would have been doubled…

I appreciate that this caused you inconvenience and will consider your advice in the future.

Hi,
I just saw your new trailer for your plugin and I got some questions:

1. How do the vehicle blueprints work? Are they spline based separate from the roads or are the roads part of the vehicle blueprint as well? Do the vehicles have to follow the roads?
  2. Can I adjust how many vehicles I want in a particular area?
  3. Can they steer in whichever direction I want them to?

Hi,

1. Vehicle system includes two separate blueprints: a traffic spawner and vehicle, they follow the same splines as the roads. Vehicles always follow a spline.
  2. Yes, by adding another traffic spawner with different parameters.
  3. They follow specified array of road splines.

Please note the system is rather basic right now and lacks many features such as collision detection.

Added new features overview / quick tutorial video: Spline Road Tool Features Overview - YouTube

Hey got the road tool being using but have been experiencing low FPS when moving spline points really laggy and framerate drops every time I move a spline point making it really difficult to make roads. Any way of fixing this or do you plan in optimising the blueprint to improve performance.

To improve performance while editing splines you can temporarily disable “Spline Extra” features and set Spline->Xscale to something larger than 1 (2-3 is ok). Optimizations are planned in the future.

Hi GOD,…

Congrats for your tool that seems very exciting to use. I am working in driving simulation and this tool could be very useful for us. However, I have some questions before deciding to buy it.

1/ Do you manage special intersection as roundabouts like standard T or X crossings with customized meshes ? Do you plan to use entirely parametric objetcs and not “formated” template object as it is now ?
Is it possible to build a nightmare rouandabout as in Swindon (UK) Nightmare Roundabout in Swindon, UK... - Album on Imgur ?

2/ Is it possible to build road insertions/exits with a very accurate degree of forking

/ Do you plan to support importing OSM files ?

/ Is it possible to build curb cuts for vehicles entry on sidewalks ?

Best regards,

hlx

Hi, thank you.

1/ You can create basic roundabout from several T intersections. The nightmare roundabout is only possible if you have a custom Static Mesh for it. Some parametric objects may be added in the future.

2/ Right now it is only possible with custom geometry. Will work on it after I finish current update.

3/ OSM support is not planned for now.

4/ It is possible to replace road section with a custom mesh.

Best regards,
GlimpseOfDawn

Hello, I want to know it will continue to update it? I bought a 30 euro road plug-in before, but so far it has not updated the 4.19 edition and almost no new content has been added. Does this plug-in guarantee continuous updates?

There is a more critical question. Can he be applied to building visualization? That is to say, for the shape of the road network, the CAD drawings of all kinds of special-shaped road requirements are relatively high? If it can be applied to the CAD building visualization road network modeling, I believe it is very worthwhile for me to have.

Hello, this tool is going to be updated, when needed, to the latest engine versions. I’m working on update now, and some more features are going to be added in the future.

As for your second question, you can see what you will get in the pictures and videos. Plus you can always use your own road meshes and materials, this tool has many features which will aid you in the process of building road network.

Best regards,
GlimpseOfDawn

Hi excellent tool so far, making my life so much easier in creating the kind of roads ive been dreaming about making in UE4 using splines.cant wait for the updates!
Having said that Im having some issues:

1. Cant seem to get the “Section replace” to work as I want, i followed your demo tutorial and go this: im sure im doing something wrong :slight_smile:
    I should mention that my spline mesh has a Y scale of 4.
  2. Can I not add any mesh to “End static mesh”? is the “SM_SR_Intersections” the only options available to add Children at end mesh?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, thank you!

1. Both “Section Replace” And “Y scale” are working as they should. You have a very narrow road and wide support columns both scaled along the y axis. What result are you trying to achieve here? If you want to have a separate Y scale for replaced section then I could add this in the next feature update. Or if you want to place a support column under road then use “Mesh Extra”.
    2)To split a long road you can make an “intersection” out of any road segment, just add a socket to where you want children to be placed.

Best regards,
GlimpseOfDawn

HI GlimpseOfDawn, thanks for the advice, for some reason now (1) works so must of been something I did wrong.
Regarding (2) Thats fine I get that part, but what I meant was am I not able to replace the road with a mesh of my choice after “Add children at mesh End”? so I can use that as a spline to continue the road.

So instead of getting this:

I get this to continue the road :

Hope that makes sense,

I more thing,I apologies if this was asked previously, Is there no way to increase the size of the Mesh after adding “End Mesh Extra” So If I wanted an enlarged “SM_SR_RoadGuardRail001” Mesh.

Thanks Again,

You are welcome, (1) Sometimes artifacts may be caused by very long or zero length tangents on small spline sections. (2) Make sure Road’s Spline->Distribution method is NOT set to Single(Legacy), otherwise Section Replace will not work. It is not clear to me from the screenshots what are you doing and what does not work for you. I’ve tested it and Section Replace works just fine.
(3) “End Mesh Extra” inherits scale from “End Mesh -> YScale” if “End Mesh YScale Override” checkbox is set or from “Spline -> Yscale” otherwise. You cannot enlarge it separately. You can duplicate mesh in Content Browser and set it’s import scale to needed value.

Just Need You To Put collision in the road blue print

Next update will come with collision enabled by default.

hello ,when i make big roads and then i try to move the points my cpu going 100% and unreal is freezing ,im using 4.18.3
Do u have any solution for this ?

If i have a really long road, and i have another road coming from the side that i wanna connect to the middle of the long road, via intersection, how can i do this?
Basically, i wanna add an intersection in the middle of a very long road. I tried using “Section Replace” to add the intersection, but the “Snap” feature wasn’t working. Only works with the “End Mesh”

So how can i split the road, and add an Intersection?

ALSO, it would be cool to add blueprint actors to the sides of the road, along the spline.

Hello billy13gain, to improve performance, while editing a long spline, try to disable extra spline and extra mesh features, also temporarily set Spline -> “XScale” property to a larger value (10 -15 or more).