Sky Creator

That’s a silly bug indeed! Enabling this shadow was just a typo probably, because I remember that I had a task to turn compass shadows off… Anyway I’ll add this to a bug fix list.

2 Likes

Please add, when you can, some sparkling stars!!! I need some realistic stars in the night but no sky generator in the unreal market has this kill feature with some depth parameters too. Great thing a layer with star image but within layers of optional sparkling stars those would be a very great feature for the night replica! Another feature is real stars position for lat. and long. in past and feature scenary…
Thank you again, I have asked this on marketplace too…
Adl

Yeah, I remember and that feature sounds great! Update 1.10 was far from the last one, so you definitely can expect it in one of next updates!

1 Like

Thank you Dmitry,
I will send you in private some images about the project (VR, Windows, cinematic and Ipad), those stars are for a nocturnal sky for an important museum project about the 3D rebuilding of an ancient Roman villa… but I think that are cool for all the nocturn skyes…
Thank you again
ADL

Alright. But how did you made volumetric clouds VR-compatible?

1 Like

Hi Dmitry,
you have reason, we have mutiple asset and tool on this project. I use a branch with UDS and works perfecly in VR with Oculus Swift S. UDS is not an engine plug-in but an asset per project. The volumetric clouds works with ray tracing too (PNY RTX 3090).
Sky Creator has the same defect of Oceanology at first (Oceanlogy works perfetcly in VR now!), I see volumentric clouds and weather only on left eye and the sky map is not visible at all! Then is very important add SC for VR too, it’s a priority to extende and complete your wonderful tool, you don’t think?
Thank you
Antonio

Well, UDS and Sky Creator both use same Volumetric Cloud Component from 4.26+ engine versions (with custom materials), so I still don’t understand how did you manage it to work in VR when this component don’t really support it… Though I never tested it in VR myself yet.

Hi Dmitry,
I have write to the programmer of Oceanology ( Oceanology in Code Plugins - UE Marketplace (unrealengine.com)) that had the some problem now resolved on his Ocean simulation… UDS and Oceanology works very well integrated (sky and water) and both haven’t problem in VR, the volumetric clouds are animated in VR (Oculus Rift S and RTX 3090). I will test now with HDR skydome of UDS + volumetrics cloud too. The night HDR shydome of Sky Creator have problems in VR too…
ADL

I guess I’ll need to have a proper look at it in VR. Can’t promise anything, but will see.
Thanks for the info!

2 Likes

If you don’t have VR setup, someone here can try it for you if you provide a test scene :slight_smile:

It’s ok, I have Quest 2, just never tried it with UE4. It’s hard to even recommend using volumetric clouds in VR, because they are a quite heavy feature, but I tend to forgot that there are not only consumer games exist, but also a simulations of different sorts and so on…

1 Like

Cool. Just FYI, Air Link works wonderfully with UE4 (assuming you have 5Ghz wifi with strong signal and solid bandwidth)

Hi @Dmitry_Karpukhin
I need to set the cloud as static and create certain space (using spheres) where the clouds should not appear, Is there any way to achieve this?

Hello! Currently not, but this feature is already in a ‘todo’ list and it’s also in public Roadmap, so you can definitely expect it in future updates.

1 Like

hey - how do i get this to work with UE 5 ? do i have to install it to a 4.x project first or is there a easier way as i am only running UE5 here - if i can install it directly, how do i “get” it ?

Hello! That’s right, you need to install it on 4.X version of the engine first and then grab it from there and then follow the docs to install it on UE5 EA. RIght now that’s the only way to get it for UE5.

Hi Dmitry, great work on this plugin! Is there any chance for some settings for accurate sun positioning based on latitude/longitude and day of year? Similar to what Epic provide with their Sun and Sky Actor | Unreal Engine Documentation.

Hello, thanks! Yeah, this feature is currently in to-do list and you can expect it in next updates.

Hi Dimitry, I like the Sky Creator asset very much! simple to setup and get great results fast!
But now I’ve run into two problems when using the asset on a Voxel planet. (just a test for future project FYI)

1. The clouds get stretched along the z-axis. Is there a way to fix this so the cloud orientation is towards the planet center?
  1. I also want to show the stars sky dome in the background, is that possible?
    Or is the asset not ment for this use case?

also +1 for VR support and accurate sun positioning :slight_smile:

Hello! Thanks for using it!
Unfortunately space views are not supported yet, so it works best for planar worlds so far.
Before the release of the plugin I actually had support for space views, especially for stars, but it did make the SkySphere material to be quite expensive, so I postponed this feature.
And there was lots of compromises! To my understanding, UE4 isn’t very good with handling such gigantic space distances, even if you shrink down Planet Size to a few hundeds of kilometers. Various graphical artifacts appear on SkyAtmosphere and so on. I may be wrong, but that was my experience. I’d like to revisit space views feature some time later though.