Sky Creator

That’s probably the Exposure Settings of Sky Creator. May be default ones that I set up are a bit too agressive. You can disable them by unticking “Use Built-In Exposure Settings” or set something more suitable there by yourself.
I plan to rewrite Exposure Settings a bit in a next big update though.

OK, I’ll try changing it and see. This only happens once or twice now and then.

Hi, in the material of your translucent object you should check “Apply Cloud Fogging” and you should be ok!

Thank you very much, I will test it later. Also I would like to know how to use Sky Creator to adjust the gad ray effect? I have tried many times. I can’t get the desired effect.

I kinda would like to know this as well. I mean the god ray effect is usually so subtle it’s hard to see. But anyway I will investigate this further.

Hi, through UDN, I had some communication with the volumetric cloud author. I got some information that seems to be related to the range and resolution of the shadows. I did a test myself and it seems to be working.

I’ll share a copy of the relevant information with you as well, so that you can better improve the functionality.

Ok, thanks! That’s quite useful.

Guys, if you’re enjoying using Sky Creator, please don’t forget to give it a review in a Marketplace Page! Never asked this before, but new reviews will help the plugin to evolve tremendously.

By the way I recently created a public Roadmap. As you can see a big update is coming soon which will enhance precipitation system a lot and this will not be the last big update, there’s still a lot exciting stuff to come.

1 Like

Can you please add the possibility of using curves based on day time for some settings?

• Skylight intensity : Nights are really realistic but too much for most games. If you don’t want to have a really bright night sky, you have to increase the skylight intensity a lot or nights will be pitch black. But if you simply put this value in a weather preset, then it will be too much during day. By using curves, I could have control of skylight intensity hour by hour with smooth blending between those values. Not reallistic but that’s how looks nights in most games (Red Dead Redemption 2, Assassin’s creed Odyssey, ect.)
  • Fog settings (density, height falloff, ect. Could use a vector curve to set 3 values in the same curve) : Usually you have some fog in the morning, because of the difference of temperature between night and morning, that slowly disappear as the sun rise. It would be nice to get some control of fog based on day time.

Also I’ve noticed another problem with nights. Increasing the intensity of the moonlight makes the “Star map” to disappear in a really large area around the moon.

Oh yes, except I’m planning to add an Exposure Compensation float curve instead of curves inside weather presets, because of some difficulties that I had before.
Early on in development, every variable in weather presets had also a curve which was great and allowed for a granular control, but there was troubles with blending such curves when you were trying to lerp weather presets or settings. Back then you could easily control fog density using curves like you described.
You still can control fog like that, but only using different blueprint setup in your controller. For example, right after “Set Weather Settings” (or “Lerp Weather Settings”) blueprint function you can add another built-in function “Set Exponential Height Fog Settings” where you can control fog settings with your custom float or color curve.
And yes, pseudo-realistic dependency of starmap visibility to moonlight was also noted. I’ll try to make it more customizable next time too.
Thanks!

I don’t think changing exposure compensation is a good idea. Exposure should be set with other camera settings and never been touched. It would be hard to set other exposure settings and camera settings to still have nice eye adaptation, etc.
Also it would make everthing brighter at night, like sky, clouds, etc. while all you need is more ambiant lighting, aka skylight intensity.
And if, at night, the player goes inside a building with lights, everything will be over exposed while with lumen coming in UE5, skylight is no more an issue with interiors.

So cool guys did a great job!

Yeah, fair enough. Ok, I’ll try to implement Sky Light intensity curve as well.

Is it possible to make skies like this with Sky Creator (if so, how?):

It’s 2D drawn right? I mean it’s made specifically for that shot?
Anyway, here’s a 10 min sketch I made using Sky Creator. Not really near, not looking ‘drawn’ but it’s somewhat doable I’d assume. You’ll need a lot of hand tweaks to do this! Primarily for Sky Atmosphere and for Volumetric Clouds in Weather Settings (or Weather Preset).

That’s close enough and really awesome!

How would I render something like that in layers (equirectangular images)? Like, foreground clouds with alpha, background clouds with alpha, sun/moon with alpha, backdrop sky. This way I can do some tweaks/paint-overs and use those layers in non-volumetric skysphere/skybox.

Oh, almost forgot - does it work with RTX stuff (GI and whatnot) ?

Hmm, I don’t really know the way to this except maybe trying to set Rayleigh Scattering Scale to 0 and then export the result with black sky and do some photoshop magic with it… The standard Scene Capture 2D have the checkbox to write alpha to texture where there are no opaque pixels, but Scene Capture Cube does not have this option.
And sure, raytracing works just fine.

1 Like

@Dmitry_Karpukhin How would you go about making lightning strikes that light up the clouds ? (mostly interested in highlighting clouds and not in the lightning bolts themselves)

Something like this (Witcher 3): 15 EXTREME Storm Effects in Video Games - YouTube

Hey, lightning bolts along with highlighting clouds are coming in future updates!

1 Like

The “Precipitation Update” V1.10 is finally up! More detailed notes on Roadmap.

• Enhanced Rain & Snow including many improvements
  • New Rain Splashes effect
  • Expanded Exposure settings supporting “Extended Luminance Range”
  • Lower Hemisphere Color for Sky Light (useful for night lighting)
  • And more.

The night lighting was improved, however I didn’t include support for curves just yet.
If you find any troubles, don’t hesitate to describe them here!

3 Likes

I found a problem that the shadows of Sky Creator’s icons are baked into the game scene.

We need to turn off his projection, and I don’t know what reason you chose the projection shadow.