Shadow Effect or Flare Effect

I’m using UE4.11 & VS 2015 Enterprise. I’m currently following the Tutorial video from UE in Youtube about C++ programming. The one where the main character receive lightning powers from batteries.

If you look at this screen shot you’ll notice some kind of red shadow effect or red flare effect around the character. It happens if I move the camera around the character when playing it in new editor window (PIE). It also happens when the character is moving. The character is supposed to be glowing as shown in the video. But I don’t know about this shadow/flare effect, because it does not show in the video, but shown in my PC.

Is this a bug or a new feature in UE 4.11 ?

If it’s not a bug, how do I enable/disable and/or modify it (its extent or fading effect or duration etc) ?

Hey Pelangi-

Where in the tutorial videos did you begin to see this? Can you also include a screenshot of the material you’re using to adjust the player glow when a battery is collected? Let me know if there is any other information you can provide about your project.

LOL… First off, turn down your “glow boost”, which is that multiplier for your Emissive. Turn it down to 1. Just to see. The next thing to look at if that’s not the issue is your post processing volume and turning down bloom (so you actually have to “enable it” to disable it, technically it’s enabled even though unchecked…)

• Man that’s an old tutorial. But anyway, if this answered your question, please upvote and mark it as answered. Good luck!

It’s in the 9th video entitled [9 - Communicating from C++ to Blueprints][1] about applying glowing material. If you look at minute 9:31 you’ll see that the character glows. But in my PC, it not only glows, it also show this flare effect when I move the camera or when the character is moving. So is it something wrong with my setting or is it bug?

Here’s another sample. The faster I move the camera, the farther its extent from the character. Is it part of a blurry effect?

If so, how could I manipulate it?

As far as that “blur effect”, not sure if it’s in the series, none of your BPs show anything that could result from it. But again, look at your post processing volume and turn off motion blur and depth of field. If those are even enabled. The only other thing to look at is your graphic drivers, making sure those are up to date. I’ve never run into a problem like this, but these are the only things that I can come up with. BTW, you said something about collecting batteries and lightning…sounds a lot like Battery Collector series. You should look into that one, I learned a lot from it.

In any part of the series, do you manipulate any “blur” effects or code? But if my answers do not work. Then this could be a bug, but, I’ve never run into it, so it may be system dependent.

Hi Victor, thanks for the comment. The “GlowBoost” value is 10 just like in the previous video entitled [6 - Creating the Power-up Material][1]. Just look at minute 5:33. Even though I changed it to 1, it has no effect.

The post processing volume was automatically created by the Unreal template. Was it not there in the previous versions?

I set the values to zero, but it has no effect too.

I didn’t know that UE made a new series for this Battery Collector. I’ll look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

As for your suggestion, it seems like turning off all motion blur solves it. So blur effect is always on by default?

Is motion blur effect suppose to behave like that?

Objects in the background, get blurry when I move the camera very fast. But is it suppose to give this “flare effect” on a glowing object in the foreground?

Moreover, the Depth of Field cannot be modified, as you can see in this screen shot. Is there another trick into this?

Eh, don’t worry about DoF if Motion Blur solved it. Motion Blur is supposed to act like that if you move fast enough. That’s why it’s called motion blur, we do not have motion blue in real life though :wink: Which is why they don’t have it in VR. As for your flare, it’s probably just the lighting in there and the materials used. Use more roughness, make it less reflective in there. That emissive on 10 isn’t going to help though. Anyway, if this solved your problem please upvote it and mark as answered.