Set All Bodies Below Physics Blend Weight Causes others not to collide

The issue I’m having right now is with the “Set all bodies below physics Blend Weight” node. What is happening is I have a “Set All bodies below simulate physics” node right at start play. I have both connected to the Lower Torso and correctly simulates the entire upper body, and if I have just the simulate physics node it works perfectly and all the capsule components collide as they are supposed to. However once I add the physics blend node I get the effect I’m looking for with the blend, but the lower torso is the only capsule component that has collision (or the upper torso if I uncheck “include self”) I was hoping someone might have insight into this issue, or more importantly experience with how to resolve it as I’m sure it’s something people commonly come across in attempting to do physics animation, but I can’t seem to find any topics about it.

1 Like

I believe I’m experiencing this same behavior or bug, where traces are no longer getting hits below the specified bone once I apply SetAllBodiesBelowPhysicsBlendWeight. Discover any solutions or workarounds?

1 Like

Same boat. Looks as if similar issues have been reported (e.g. Physical animation ignores line trace, Help with a Physical Animation Line Trace Collision Issue ). I’ve been using blend weights with physical ragdoll profiles to drive some melee flinch animations and it’s causing issues with accurate raycasting for, say, using PHATs tied to simulated bones as ranged hitboxes.

It looks like this can be worked around to some degree by replacing physics blend weights with physical animation settings. After tweaking settings to get similar behavior, I no longer experience the line trace issue.

@from_mr.edison - You might be able to work around the need for blend weights by setting the physical animation’s strength multiplier instead.

Here’s an old video about physical animation that may be useful:

1 Like

I’ll have a play with getting that to mimic blending in and out but it looks like I might have to scrap most of the physical comp stuff and go for blending canned animations. Seems to be a long standing issue that won’t be fixed (Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-72912)) - alas I have no keys to UDN so not sure why.