Physical animation ignores line trace

I’ve noticed that after applying physical animation and using Set All Bodies Below Physics Blend Weight the collision capsules are In the wrong place. If you enable physics animations and use a blend with value 0 (this should use all data from animation), capsules, in reality, are in place where fully simulated character would be. This is not presented via the command ‘show Collision’ but any line trace will simply miss cuz of the different positions of capsules.

2 Likes

I’m on version 5.1 and have the same problem. Did you manage to find a way to solve this?

So I have a similar problem. What I think is happening is that the physical animation is still being calculated for the character even when blend is set to 0. So if you have a hit on a character. I’m not sure how to force the physical animation body of the bones to align with the animated character other than shutting off physical animations entirely or changing the settings of the physical animation to be stiff. But that sort of defeats the point right?

Is there a solution to this problem? Unreal 5.4

I’m not sure I understand the settings that are recommended for the blend of projectiles.

Hit-based physics reactions are a common use case for simulation on characters, such as when a character is struck by a projectile. At a high-level, this requires that you:

• Get the name of the bone that was hit. This can be done via a trace for instant-effect weapons, or within a projectile class where applicable.
  • Transfer that bone name into the Character’s Animation Blueprint for the Event Graph to use, generally through a Set All Bodies Below Simulate Physics node. This activates the simulation system.
  • Control the Physics Blend Weight property via a Set All Below Physics Blend Weight node. Generally, you want to quickly animate this going up to 1.0 and then back down to 0.0 so that the physics reaction blends in and then back out. This would generally be done within the Animation Blueprint’s Event Graph.
  • Once the reaction is complete and the Physics Blend Weight returns to 0, you should use the Set All Bodies Below Simulate Physics node once more to deactivate the simulation.