Second controller not being detected

I am making a 2d pvp local multiplayer game similar to smash bros. This is the first game I have ever made so there is a lot I don't know.
 I have followed a few tutorials on how to spawn in each character for every controller that is plugged in. I have two xbox controllers plugged in, and in gamepad-tester.com it shows both of them are working, but when I try to test my game in the editor, there is only one character that shows up.
 When I go into the project settings and go to input, I am able to set up button mappings

for my controllers by clicking the button on the left of the drop down that lets you just press a button on your controller and it will set it to that.
Screenshot_20230113_112643
However, it will only take input from one controller and not the other.
How can I get the unreal engine to detect both of my controllers?

In order to get Unreal Engine to detect both of your controllers, you need to make sure that your controllers are properly configured and recognized by your operating system first. You can check this by going to the Windows Device Manager and making sure that both controllers are listed under the “Human Interface Devices” category.

Once you have confirmed that both controllers are recognized by your operating system, you can then move on to configuring them in Unreal Engine.

First, you need to go to the “Project Settings” and then navigate to the “Input” section. Here you should find a list of all the inputs that your project is currently using, including the ones for controllers.

Next, you need to check that the input mapping for each controller is set up correctly. You should see a list of inputs for each controller, such as “Left Stick X Axis” or “A Button”. Each input should have a corresponding input mapping, such as “Gamepad Left Stick X” or “Gamepad A”. If the input mapping is not set up correctly, you can click the button on the left of the drop-down menu and press the corresponding button on your controller to set it up.

You should also make sure that you have set up the correct number of players in the “Game Mode” settings of your project.

If you’ve followed these steps and you’re still having issues with only one controller being recognized, you may want to try restarting the editor, the game and your controllers.

Also, you can try to test the controllers on other games or software just to make sure the problem is not caused by a malfunctioning controller.

2 Likes

I am also having this problem.

I can confirm that both of my controllers are connected to my computer.
I can confirm that my game has four PlayerControllers awaiting input and that two of them work (1st player is my computer and 2nd player is ONE xbox controller)
And I can confirm that both xbox controllers work with Unreal. So long as I only have one connected at a time, if they are both connected then Unreal will only see one and completely ignore the other.

Same here,
I’m trying to add new input actions for each controller, in the project settings tab, but pressing buttons on a second controller has no effect at all.
Though every button is working fine in windows settings, unreal can’t detect the second controller.

Ok, I got it to work.
I was trying to add Input Actions for every controller, which is not needed.

Here is what I found out:

• add inputs for one controller, it’s enough
  • identify your players. In my case I have Pawns in the level with Auto Possess set to 0, 1, 2 and 3
  • in your Game Mode or in the Level Blueprint, create as many new players as needed. In ma case I created four, IDed 0, 1, 2 and 3
  • a Delay is needed before this Create New Player node. The default 0.2 seconds seems to be enough.

With those checked, I have four players working fine.