Sales statistics?

Well, my system started to be sold on marketplace around 11/05/2014, and today is 12/16/2014. I didn’t received any info yet. :frowning:

And how can I give support for marketplace buyers, if I don’t know who they are? A buyer will have to wait until the end of the month to start receiving support?

Hey Alex,

As stated in the Marketplace Business FAQ, you’ll be paid monthly within 45 days following the end of any month where the cumulative payment due to you is at least $100. Any accumulated account balance under $100 will be paid within one calendar year.

We are extremely careful with our users’ personal data, including email addresses. We’re brainstorming ways of allowing you to inform end users of updates without giving email or other personal info. Look for improvements here in the coming months.

But I don’t quiet follow how we are impeding you from providing your end users with support. We post your contact information for support on the Marketplace item when we launch it. If users need support, they should be emailing you at that address. We occasionally get support requests for asset packs on Marketplace that we try to field if we can - even though we ask developers to provide support. If they are asset pack specific and we can’t answer them, we pass them on to the developer. Please let us know if your users are not reaching you for support and I’ll try to track it down for you.

-deke

If someone ask me for support, please, tell me how do I know if it is a paying user or someone that are using a pirated version? Or are saying that I should give support to everyone, even those that are stealing? I would using my time to help those that are stealing instead of using for those that paid, right?

Absolutely true! One should be see a list of the email adress to distinguish between paying/non-paying users.

Btw. would you like to share some statistics of sales?

Maybe they could generate a unique id per sale and provide that id to the seller, so as to confirm a legitimate purchase? That way they don’t give out email addresses.

Well, if someone buys my product, and them ask my support, I will have their email anyway.

I could also make some assets for marketplace, if I had any bearing on sales.
The prices are very low and unless sales are way higher than what it seems, there really is no reason to get involved until the community grows more (which I am sure it will :D)

I understand that Epic can’t disclose information about the sales made by other people. It would, however, be really nice if some of the guys behind the top assets could give us a pointer towards expected sales :slight_smile:

Yeah, that would be greatly appreciated!

How? If Epic does not give that information for us, the sellers, how can we share it? And to honesty, I am starting to think that it is not worthy the effort. For example, on my site, I had just one sell month, while my system were downloaded 331 times from a pirate site. Someone here bought it and shared overthere. :frowning: Last month I had, on my site around 30 purchases.
And since my system is made with blueprint, anyone can download, copy the code and make his own game, without paying me for my work.
And you can find over there almost every item on marketplace.

So, for me it is not worthy! I will finish implementing some features and then I will let it die. I had plans to add other products, like better AI, and other templates, but no… Waste of time! And I can not work for free, because I don’t have anyone to pay my bills.

and I think that’s precisely why sales statistics aren’t avaible … the sales shouldn’t be good enought and with explicit numbers it will discourage lot of potential content creators… and without content the market will die…

So in my opinion it’s definetely not a priority for epic to let leak that kind of informations

A good point, sir.

Should I consider every one that contacts me, not sent from you, as a not paying user, and don’t give support, right?

If what you’re saying is true, I hope you contacted Epic and provided them with the details regarding the pirate site. Truth of the matter is, piracy is unfortunately inevitable. People will always do it, sadly, even to indie developers who are struggling to make a living. The least we can hope for is that Epic will have something in place to slow down, or prevent it to an extent. I don’t know what measures they have in place at the moment, if any, but something sort of like an authorization of sorts that is applied to your account for the specific package. However, then the problem comes up that people can extract the assets and re import them.

Again, piracy is sadly always going to be there. But there are plenty of honest people in community and others that will support indie developers.

Yes, I contact them, when I first found out, and they said that they know about it. Nothing more! Are they doing anything about it? I don’t think so, because the site is still up.
Before having my system pirated, I sold around 30 ( more or less one per day ). month I just sold once, before going into that pirate site. And only for the torrent, it has almost 400 downloads.

And all products on marketplace are there!

And I am still waiting for the list of marketplace buyers of my system. I don’t think that is not the right way of doing things.
I can’t think of any reason a seller can not get access to his products buyers.

I don’t know what they can do honestly. Piracy is notoriously difficult to stop, all it takes is one pirate to distribute stolen content and then it becomes a nightmare to stop the leaks. I’d like to think that the majority of the UE4 community wouldn’t stoop that low, and would in fact support content creators. Most of us need to pay for bills, and sales also drive development of future content. The only thing I can think of is that they generate a unique license that people must be able to show if they use your assets in a commercial project. won’t stop people from pirating, so much as it will expose them if they try to go public with content they have stolen.

Epic has already stated they have a dashboard for developers in the works, it’s only a matter of time before we have that at our disposal. It isn’t that they are against providing information, they are simply working on integrating it to the site.

****, why bother making content if it’s going to be stolen. :confused:

I wonder if Epic can do some kind of job policing these torrent sites?

I know it’s hard to stop pirating, but from what Alex has said, it will discourage a lot of future development of the marketplace.

Edit: When I think about people who are pirating, most likely they are not a professional studio. I’d imagine it would be people without disposable income; students, hobbyists, or even living in a less affluent country. So, I guess a solution could be a tiered system? Like a student, hobbyist, indy and professional license of the marketplace assets? Something similar to what Quixel has in place for their software? Quixel | 3D world-building made easy
I know we can’t stop piracy, but maybe it’s best to rethink how to sell content?

They do the best they can, but there is only so much they can do unfortunately. All they can do is submit a copyright infringement notice to the website asking for it to be removed, most of these sites will comply, but it takes time to process. They aren’t able to take a website offline for without going to court, which would take even longer to get the content removed, but is not always an option due to international laws.

It’s like a game of Whack-A-Mole, you take out one and another pops up almost immediately.

Whenever you come across any pirated content, please send the link to **[EMAIL=“piracy@unrealengine.com”]piracy@unrealengine.com ** so that Epic is made aware of it. They do search as well but as mentioned there are so many of them it is hard to get them all.

It would be nice to know what types (architecture, props, models, etc.) sells best. I’ve been thinking that we might toss up some of the leftover assets we’re building for our game into the Marketplace, but rather than just throw out pack ideas at Epic it would be useful to know from Epic where the major interests lay.

thread might help you out a bit:

Any news on creators sales stats? (real time or close to at least)

When you have no idea for roughly 2 months of sales numbers after initial upload and then only once a month after that, it’s pretty deflating and hard to be motivated for the next project.