Safe To Use Something Other Than Navmesh for VR Teleportation?

I personally don’t love working with Navmeshes and find them difficult to “mold” into what I want for VR.

I’ve been experimenting with my own system for defining teleportable areas that I’m liking a lot, and I have integrated it with the VR Template teleportation system.

And yet, my insecurities are flaring up real bad. They use it in the VR Template after all… would there be any reason that I might discover down the road that I shouldn’t have strayed from Navmesh? Like does Navmesh do anything extra magic-y or extra-forward-compatible-with-everything-in-special-ways that I might not find out about until it’s too late?

I’ve looked through the manual and the relevant blueprints and I… I don’t think there’s anything to worry about but… you know… I don’t know.

It’s keeping me up at night.

I never understand why you can’t just move the pawn :slight_smile:

I have seen tutorials that use an arc, so you can choose where to teleport to ( without navmesh ).

Also, why can’t you walk as a VR pawn? Surely that would be part of the immersion?

1 Like

There’s no need to use NavMesh for teleportation, it’s just an easy out-of-the-box system to set up areas that can/can’t be teleported to for new users. If you want more control I’d recommend you roll your own system based on collision profiles, etc. It also works better if you want to be able to teleport to dynamic (moveable) objects etc without paying the expensive cost of having a NavMesh that updates dynamically at runtime.

2 Likes

Thank you for allaying my fears, Victor! Big fan, btw.

1 Like

This sounds very interesting. I always did VR-teleporting with NavMesh but often I find myself wanting more detailed control. Could you point us in the right direction with some resources related to this method?

Instead of deciding whether the teleport location is valid based on the navmesh, you can for example do something like this where you look at the collision profile instead, and compare it to your list of allowed/not allowed collision profiles to determine whether or not it’s a valid teleport location.

1 Like

Hi! I came across this while having a problem with Navmesh bounds volume;
I have my model from Revit then Twinmotion as a datasmith file where I have the ground in different levels (sunken area, ground level, risen leve) and each level has some irregularities (tilts , etc).

Navmesh applied on one area that I have applied collision to it but when I press (P) the green area isn’t the whole area covered by the Navmesh and the teleportation doesn’t work also, seems like the arc penetrates the ground.

Can this also work for my case?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.