[Request] Placable ambient light (or improved in World Properties)

I’d rather would get placable, so we could access it trough Blueprints, but the main idea is about this light would work.

Imagine box, where each side of the box is casting ambient light to the scene, just in one direction. Something like directional light, but without it’s properties (reflections, shadows), just simple directional ambient light (is that even term ?).
So we have light that can cast ambient light independly from 6 directions, each direction can have diffent settings (color, intensity etc).

More extreme example would to have ambient light cast from each side of the box, and from each corner (light point to the center of box), so in total we would have 14 possible directions.

This type of light would allow to create greater lighting varation on open levels and possibly make more mixed setup (open and closed spaces directly connected) more appealing, without using baked lighting.

I have entered a report for your feature request.

Thanks.

You can get this effect by using a postprocess volume, inside of it you can define an ambient cubemap.

Well it’s not exactly that as as the name indicated it’s postprocess, not to mention you have to prepare cubemap. I’d rather have more complex ambient light, that I can tweak in real-time inside editor, which cloud be more useful for creating realistic day-night cycle.

You can import .hdr files that are unwrapped in a wrap around format and the editor will treat that as a cubemap, that should help you create realistic ambient lighting. You can then blend between multiple postprocess volumes to create a day/night cycle.

Thanks for the tip about hdr maps, but it still doesn’t solve one particular issue.
I can’t edit hdr maps directly inside editor, to instantly see results, I still need to import cubemap, see the results, back to edit it, reimport etc.And resulting quality might not be just as time efficient as ambient light plable inside level.