Rendering Tips

Hello guys, I’m working on another project for the marketplace. However I’m having problems with this type of ceiling lighting. I want a straight line. Im using a point line with the length and source radius modified.

What would you recommend?

This is the effect Im looking for

Try with an emissive plane (dont forget to enable emissive affecting lightmass in the mesh and material properties).

Here’s a comparison shot between a point light with a high length, emissive, and rectangular lights (overshoot = light is a tad lengthier than it should).

https://i.imgur.com/aZ9U2b3.png

Emissive will also give you a higher quality overall. First shot is a point light/rect light side, second is an emissive baked wall.

https://i.imgur.com/7QDmKfs.png

https://i.imgur.com/YUP3BRO.png

This is perfect! Thank you very much!

Awesome work,

I’ve been wondering how big are your lightmap resolutions?

hello!, I use:

2048 -> walls, floors, ceilings, big furniture that require detail shadows (desk, wardrobe)

1024 -> big objects in the scene, lets say doors, the closet frames, sometimes furniture that don’t get many shadows from other props (i.e bed), and then some objects that are complex in their lightmaps and require this to not have errors in lighting. (i.e the headphones, computer, camera)

512 -> most props in the scene

256 -> this is for very very small objects, lets say the soap in the bathroom scene or the mouse in the bedroom scene

For archviz I don’t recommend going lower than that but if you should test it to see if it works for your quality/performance.

Another important thing for lightmaps is to uncheck the compress option, this will greatly improve the quality. You can find it in the lightmass section in World Settings.

Getting great results with rect-light, haven’t tried with emissive but hopefully soon

Soon we will publish our new scene for the marketplace, hope you like it, and any feedback its helpful

I little bit more teasing on our next project for the marketplace, we hope to release it the next month. What do you guys think?

Looks great!
LegenreVR those light diagrams are super helpful.

very beautiful, congratulations!

Thank you Daniele!

Some HDR maps produce inexplicable colors~ How?

We’ve finally released our latest bedroom pack :D, we love your feedback. What can we do better? Which kind of assets would you like for your upcoming projects?

Hi!

Imo:
if you wouldn’t face snap things together or if you do then would cut those overlapping pieces out of your lightmap uvs you wouldn’t get those dark edges around your objects…

…and maybe using less dull PP…

The rest is very nice!

Hello!, I really think its a hardware problem, when I zoom in to those objects those problems dissapear. I don’t know why but its like it takes a lot of time for my computer to load those lightmaps in high quality. But I’m not sure, I don’t know if it only happens to me

Aurum Arch can you tell us your exposure setting .
thank you

Hi, great scenes, they are very well made.
I think this problems can be related to texture streaming pool, try increasing r.Streaming.PoolSize to the max your gpu can handle and see if it’s better.
If Unreal is close to using all texture streaming pool it will start loading lower mips and get less quality.

Hello,

Nice work man, i’m learning now to be able to reach this quality, i want to ask about the unwrap for lightmap, i’m using 3ds max , and i have small objects as decoration and also plants , i used unwrap scripts but it didn’t get the job done, is there any way i can unwrap for these small complex objects quickly? for example should i go for every leaves in the plant and unwrap it manually !!?
like this will take forever not to mention if you have more than one!