Rendering Tips

Hello, I want to show you my ArchViz project (available at the MarketPlace: AURUM - Bedroom 01 in Architectural Visualization - UE Marketplace

But I also wanted to share some knowledge with you from my experience using UE4 for architectural visualization, so feel free to ask anything about this scene; maybe the lighting setup, meshes optimization, or any other thing that you want to know.

Thank you very much!

Hello! Is it stationary or static lightning you use?

Its Stationary, that gives you a little bit more of control after you bake the lights, without sacrificing lighting quality

So my main light is a Skylight. I render the scene with an intensity of 7cd/m2, and after its rendered a I change the intensity to 15 (since its stationary you don’t have to build the light again). That gives you a nice effect on your scene.

The rest of the lighting optimizations are controlled by post processing volumes.

Hello, did you tweak ini file and what was your Lightmass setting ? Thanks!

Hello!, no i didn’t. This is my world settings:
I think that “volumetric lightmass density” is the one that really makes the difference. Then I build the light in Production quality

how long did it take to calculate the lightmass und what are the specs of your PC you are using for it.

It took a while, I would say that 48 hours or a little bit more. But keep in mind that I have a very humble device. Its a 2013 Macbook pro, I need to upgrade because i want to create larger scenes but right now its impossible.

Very nice scene!

Did you tweak anything else on the Sky lighting such as the Lower Hemisphere ?

You could try to lessen the extreme of your settings. Try to set Static Lighting Level from 0.1 to maybe 0.5 and so on. It’s about balancing it. - Sure you can spend 2 days building lighting for a little change but you need to make a judgement call if it’s really worth. It gets exponential. For the last 0.1% of quality the build time will double or quadruple probably.

Thank you! I will definitely do that! I have actually never tried that, i always assumed the quality was not going to be great.

here is my skylight settings

Hello, I want to share with you guys a project that I’m currently working on. Hopefully, it will be available in the next few weeks in the market place.

Btw here’s the youtube link of the video rendering, I think I forgot to post it:

watch?v=CKNSXV-7uK4&t=1s

Beautiful work. I assume you used Datasmith?

Thank You!, and I wish I did, it would have been quicker. I own a MacBook right now, so when you guys make it available on OSX I will definitely use it.

I hear you. There just are many issues with MacOS support for key parts of Datasmith. If we brought it over now, it would lose 50% of features.

I’ts a shame, but no worries. I’m so used to not being able to have a specific software on my mac … im just grateful to have UE4 as a solution for my work.