Rendering Small Sprite

Hi,

I have a sprite animation, and when i resize it to make it small. the rendering is nood good because of the black outline.

Is there a way to fix that? You can compare the normal object with the small. All details on the small becomes weird and make it looks bad.

Thanks for your time and your help.

Hey @BakuryuReitoken, welcome to the forums!
Have you turned aliasing off? I know that when it comes to most assets you’re scaling down, anti-aliasing is essential for higher-quality because it smooths out the scaled pixels.

I hope this can help!
-Zen

1 Like

Hi thanks, for the reply,

yes the Anti Aliasing is off. i try it before posting on this forum.

Hi,

I have try again, and i have something correct when i use the Temporal Anti-Aliasing (TAA).
But is it ok to use it? it’s not possible to have something good without it?

I’m asking that because most people in videogame remove the anti-aliasing in the parameters.

And is it possible to have different anti-aliasing for different object? or it’s global to everything?

Thanks for your time.

Hey @BakuryuReitoken,
Well, you want Anti-Aliasing to be on, which turns Aliasing off so it does not make those jagged lines in the render.
Most people recommend it being off because it comes at a cost to performance to do the math for those calculations to smooth. But, without a higher quality graphic or SVG, Anti-Aliasing is probably your next best option.
I hope this can help,
-Zen

Hi, What do you mean by that? But, without a higher quality graphic or SVG

I try to create big images with high quality, i was not expecting to have such bad result when i reduce the size… i can understand when i try to make it bigger… but smaller it’s surprising.

What is a high quality graphic then?

@BakuryuReitoken
It really depends on what your projected viewport resolution is going to be because I try to go for a minimum of 4X resolution scale when I’m not working with pixel art or SVG. I try to also strive for a higher PPU when working in PNG. You can change these settings in the editor too, as well as upon creation of the assets.
I definitely recommend turning anti-aliasing back on, especially with 2D games, just because you have a lot of room you are saving in performance comparatively anyway. Resolution and PPU are my next best recommendations.
Hope this can help,
-Zen

Thanks for your help and information!!

I will close the topic.

1 Like