Rendering problems

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but i cant find alot of videos out there on this subject, i have created a few nice scene’s for our project, but now i’m buidling a forest but the foliage i use with wind looks nice and everything but i’m having computer performance problem’s if i add to much foliage, i don’t have a monster pc but above average i believe, i7 with 2 gt 560 ti’s… now i want to play around with the rendering settings in UE4 that’s where i think the problem lies, do any of you have some advice or a link that explains more about the subject.?.. sorry for spelling English not my first language.

Hi CptObvious,

There are some things you can do to get better performance.

You will want to make sure that your mesh has multiple LODs setup and that they are being used properly. (Personally I use the Auto-distance LOD method unless I see a reason to make a tweak)

You will also want to set a cull distance in the Foliage tool > Show Instance Settings > Culling >

Once here you can see the Start and End cull distance. If these are left at 0 they will always be visible when in the viewport which can cause performance issues. I typically don’t mess with the start cull distance and only mess with the end cull distance.

For reference in my scene pictured below I have a mountain side using a SpeedTree asset. (The broadleaf Desktop one). The mountain side has an ~125,000 instances of the mesh. This is overkill but I’m using LODs with a Billboard as the lowest LOD which is why I am able to keep my FPS around the 34 mark. If I remove the more detailed trees closer to the camera my FPS is around 52.

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Tim

Hi tim

thank you for the help, that helped alot… things are running alot smoother now… thank you :slight_smile:

Sincerely Christo