Realistic super sharp reflections in UE5 with 1080ti... Is it possible? (preferably in real-time)

Hi Guys, I’m pretty new to UE and I’ve been studying it on my own for the past couple of weeks and I’ve started with UE5. I’ve got enough of basics to be able to navigate within the UE and to be able to compose a scene which is what I’m trying to do now in ArchVis.

I’ve imported me model into the scene and I’ve setup some basic lighting and then I’ve noticed an issue with my reflections. As the title of this post states I am only using a 1080ti so I suffer lack of hardware RT.

Now my question is if it is possible to attain perfect crisp reflections in UE5 ArchVis project with a 1080ti only? As I mentioned I’m still very new to UE5 and I don’t even know the whole workflow for ArchVis project but I’m guessing that the end product is rendered similar to a 3D project in blender or any other 3D application and if it is the case then I’m not really concerned about crisp reflections in real time but if it is possible in real time with 1080ti then that would be great as well.

Here’s some screenshots of what I’m getting with both Lumen and Screen Space reflections (DXR doesn’t seem to work for me even thou it is enabled):

Screen Space:

Lumen:

Thank you in advance for any support!

what you want to create a mirror?

try also the planar reflection. maybe that work for that mirror panel

First of all thank you so much for taking your time and replying xD

So I have a couple of goals. First tho I want to make an ArchVis style animation similar to one in the video below between 0:45 and 1:25

Learn About Photoreal Automotive Rendering in Unreal Engine | Webinar - YouTube

So yes I am trying to create the mirrors for the car itself but not only that. I also need the reflections on the car to be sharp and in a good quality as well. The mirror wall in the scene is only for testing purposes of reflections over all, same as the chrome ball.

I’m not sure if it’s seen very clearly in the picture above but you can see that reflections of the color calibrator on the car are just bad and then I zoom into the chrome ball itself and the you can see again how bad reflections are. And it doesn’t even show reflections on the chrome wall either.

I’ve followed the video from YT that’ve linked in this post along with many other tutorials and nothing they do works for me. The first thing he done was disabling the denoiser for raytraced reflection via a c-var but when I done that it didn’t make any difference for it. I’m starting to think that I won’t be able to get this kind of crisp result as in his video with a 1080ti only.

I know that 1080ti supports DXR which is software raytracing and heavily impacts performance which wouldn’t be that much of an issue for me for an ArchVis animation but my secondary goal is to then bring that model into a game project and learn it’s mechanics with desire of it looking also like in a proper ArchVis.

I’m sorry for so much text I hope it’s not too convoluted xD

And again thank you in advance for any support

I don’t know if raytracing works on that GPU

1 Like

Hardware raytracing does not work on this GPU but 10xx series can use DXR from, 1060 onwards, which is software raytracing. That being said I still can’t get any dcecent result with neither Lumen or screen space reflections so I’m wondering is it even possible to get good reflections with my GPU at all. Also I’ve noticed in UE documentation that Lumen does not support mirror reflections

In UE5 if you disable Lumen you can use planar reflections for flat surfaces. You can use reflection captures for curved surfaces. They won’t be perspective correct but usually this isn’t very noticeable on curved surfaces.

If you use UE4 instead, 10-series GPUs (1060 6gb and up) can use raytracing. You can pair raytraced reflections with baked GI to get very realistic results.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the reply. So in order to be able to use raytracing with 10xx series I would need to downgrade the engine to UE4? I really want to learn the 5 tho and I think I can get away without using lumen as my end goal doesn’t require real time GI. Again thank you so much for that I will give it a go xD

Discussed in another post, might be some useful info in it:

How do i make reflective surfaces reflect real time

1 Like