How do i make reflective surfaces reflect real time

I want to make a scene for my movie where something is being reflected off of a character’s glasses that are 100% metallic and 0% rough so they are basically chrome-like and i want a way to reflect a video i will have playing on a plane in front of him on his glasses. I need a way to make some sort of reflective material that i can put on his glasses and that will reflect stuff in real time. Does anyone know of a solution

here is a picture of what my shot looks like.

Enabling Ray Traced Reflections should work.

1 Like

I have started the project with ray tracing off, can i enable it on like a post-process volume or smth? That would work perfectly actually if its possible.

You’ve to enable RT in the Project Settings.
That link should help: Real-Time Ray Tracing | Unreal Engine Documentation

After it is enabled you can define the settings via PostProcessVolume. (Max. Roughness, Max. Bounces and even Samples per Pixel could be interesting for your situation.)

Ok i enabled it and added a post process volume which had reflection type set to rt by default but for some reason im still getting screenspace reflections on my guy’s eyes. I have pasted a screenshot on a dome and ive put the guy inside it, the dome is not reflected on his eyes. in general the project is still like i didnt enable ray tracing. I switched def rhi to directx12, i enabled ray tracing in the project settings, i clicked yes on the skin cache popup, what am i doing wrong? Do i have to have a gpu that supports ray tracing for it to work maybe?

here is what i mean.

Make sure the PPV is enabed to cover the area you’re in or set it to Infinite. In the PPV you’ve settings for Max Bounces, Samples and Roughness. Up all of them to the max to check if that changes anything. Further there are a few Console Commands for RT Reflections you may can check / change. But that may include some trial + error. (especially stuff like MaxDistance for example)

ok yeah nothing works but i wanted to ask something, i have an amd card and i just saw a post here that said no amd card can do ray tracing for ue, is that true should i just give up?

If you have a 6000 series card then they apparently support DXR raytracing. However as I recall, benchmarks showed they had pretty poor raytracing performance compared to the 30 series RTX cards.

If RT isn’t working and you only need that for a cinematic or something else, you could try setting up a Planar Reflection in front of the glasses, facing the camera? As stated in the article, they give better results than Screen Space Reflections, but will impact the performance.

For more: Planar Reflections | Unreal Engine Documentation

1 Like

Nah, what i want is the glasses to reflect the environment in real time but anyway thanks for your time in here.

Planar Reflections would indeed capture every frame of the environment if necessary. I did a quick test and with simple planes the reflections turn out acceptable, but curved surfaces do lack quality.

You could render a cam to a texture, not necessarily projected to a plane. The output texture can be used as diffuse data to blend into the ‘reflective’ materials, faking a reflection in HD.