Raytracing was merged into Dev-Rendering!

CLOD terrain and realtime oct-tree updates are already in UE so I reckon they’ll nail it pretty easily.

I’m sure they could make it work easily, but rebuilding the bottom level RTX acceleration structure for every chunk that has had vertices move every frame isn’t going to be free.
I read an article/interview with the Metro devs and IIRC they said acceleration structure updates (particularly for tessellated objects/landscape) was difficult to get working as fast as they liked.

Currently I’m writing a non-hybrid renderer with RTX, but I’m prettymuch a beginner at this stuff (never actually done terrain at all) so just looking to see what other people do.

Dayum, and here I am trying to just get the engine to NOT crash with raytracing enabled (havent even figured out how to use the denoiser correctly…)
Are you using 4.22p3 or the dev-rendering branch ?

It is actually 4.22 preview 2 :cool:

Anyone fiddled with translucency yet? I’m having a hard time getting anything useful out of it. Compared to non-RT translucency it actually looks worse in most cases(!?). Especially shadowed translucency seems to produce results that look acceptable on some surfaces but way off on others, all on a single asset. Hope we’re getting a bit more control over this cause otherwise…:confused:

Ergh I think I skipped p2 :confused:
We’ll see if p4 yields better results…

The latest couple of raytracing videos I’ve seen have been very noisy, compared to the first couple that were posted. Why is that?

If you don’t have many fast moving object in the scene, is it possible to raytrace every few frames and then instead apply blurring on the other frames?

The existing denoiser seems to be this kind of multi-frame sampling denoising, so it is very early when the picture moves, rather than the AI denoising demonstrated by NVIDIA. At least in many demonstration DEMOs, the denoising effect is very ideal, and the existing denoising effect is significantly different from the demonstration.

NOTE

Additional information regarding ray tracing in UE4 is available here.

please bring dxr to older graphic cards
its unfair :frowning: we cant use it

Talk to Microsoft, Nvidia and AMD about that. Complaining about that here is silly.

get an rtx card then. People like you aren’t the target customers yet anyway

Does denoising works with FXAA?

There is hope for everyone else if LPV gets improved together with SSGI, this is only assumption.

if ps5 come with amd gpu
it will not have dxr compatibility ???

dxr is based on microsoft and they will not limited dxr to nvidia rtx

It’s quite unlikely that the next generation of consoles will be powerful enough to do real-time raytracing. From what I’ve read, it’s going to stay a PC-exclusive feature for at least another console generation.

I think it’ll take AMD a couple of generations to catch up to NVidia if raytracing becomes the next big thing (which it probably will). They might focus on doing scanline rendering faster and at a higher quality over the next couple of generations instead, since the physical space cost of dedicated RT hardware will allow AMD to gain an edge over RTX cards in that area.

DXR support is up to the hardware manufacturer, it needs to be in the GPU driver. AMD does not have a GPU driver with DXR support.

Hi,
I know that Ue4 doesn’t support multiple gpu yet, but since Ue4 using the DXR functionalities (and not nvidia rtx), is Ue4 asking DirectX for all available tensors and rt cores or is it only restricted the main display gpu ?
Nvidia Nvlink should make tensors cores and Rt cores “merged” for the DXR functions right ?

TL;DR
Limited raytracing functionality will be available for GTX 10xx and 16xx series. Alos NVidia will release Vulkan extensions.
It’s not clear me if Nvidia’s extension is sth RTX-specific. Or is it general DXR extension which could work for other vendors?