Raytracing and Tessellation artifacts (4.25.4)?

So, I am trying to experiment with some tessellation and landscape stuff with raytracing enabled. I ran into this issue yesterday and found only one post about this. I enabled tessellation on my material and have these wierd artifacts where the geometry is being pushed down. I was able to mitigate the problem by using the r.raytracing.normalbias command as shown in the images but I would like to know what I am doing here. what are the performance implications or raytracing accuracy implications by setting this to a high value like 10, 50, 100?

The issue is less apparent when the directional light is at the horizon at the issue get more obvious as the light travels overhead. (noon-ish)

Edit : link seems to be broken, here is the new one : raytracing issues - Album on Imgur

I noticed the same issue :0

There is a temporary fix by using r.RayTracing.NormalBias command and setting it at higher values (default is 0.1) This does not work for all lighting situations however and breaks at certain angles. Not even sure if this is the right way to go about it! maybe someone more knowledgeable can share some insight :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am having the same issue. Imgur: The magic of the Internet