Raytracing and NPC Awareness

Hello!

So with the development of raytracing over that past few years, i’ve always wondered if a Splinter Cell game or something in that genre would get a remake. With my limited knowledge however, to me, it seems like the perfect game to have these features. So i don’t understand why games like these are not being developed. Even IF it was just a short demo. Could anybody explain to me why this hasn’t happened yet? Is there something obvious i’m missing?

To make the question more obvious, why hasn’t raytracing light and shadow features not been used for Enemy Awareness?

Now, I’ve recently been able to play around with Raytracing features in UE5. But before i try anything with enemy awareness+Raytracing, i’d like to know why this hasn’t been done yet as a "big feature "AAA game. For now Raytracing seems to be more visual than actualy usable as a gameplay feature.

Am i missing something? Could anybody shed some light on this?

Most of the calculations involved with raytracing (and most rendering in general) is done on the GPU and the CPU is never told anything about the results. It is very expensive and slow to send information from the GPU to the CPU, so telling the CPU about how much light hits an object would be extremely expensive.
The added detail of raytracing and global illumination only serve to make these kinds of games harder to make because light behaves more naturally. For example, you can’t just test if the light and player have line of sight to each other, because that ignores the bounced light.
A classic way of accomplishing this is to use a second, low res camera to measure the brightness of a few dozen or hundred pixels of the ground where the player is standing, find the brightest value, and just send that one pixel to the CPU.
This minimizes the data being sent, works with all lighting methods, and doesn’t change cost based on number of light, etc. But it also can give false results, like if the players feet are in shadow but he’s in light from the knees up.

1 Like