Download

Ray Tracing support using the Vulkan RHI (4-27 & 5-0)

Hey there,

I was wondering if there are any plans to support Real Time Ray Tracing using Unreal Engine’s Vulkan RHI, considering that the Vulkan API supports it? As far as I know (though I could be wrong on this), Vulkan is the only way to implement Ray Tracing in games on platforms other than Windows (or Xbox).

P.S. - This goes for Unreal Engine 5 too!

1 Like

This is definitely something I’d be interested in using, as RTXGI static volumes are not nearly as potent as their dynamic equivalent, and Vulkan is our all-platforms target RHI.

Considering Nvidia posted a tutorial on RayTracing in Vulkan, it may be viable to implement it as a community PR to 5 and potentially even 4?

Actually, looking into the source, it seems VulkanRHI has raytracing support in the ue5-main branch- perhaps it’s possible (or even practical) to backport the changes to the Engine/Source/Runtime/VulkanRHI to 4.27? See git diff --stat origin/release origin/ue5-main -- Engine/Source/Runtime/VulkanRHI/ to see direct changes- but related changes to code outside of that directory may prove more interesting/complicated.

Any commentary from someone more familiar with engine code (maybe an official dev?) would be appreciated on this front.