PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D

Cheers! Well, it could all surely be better. Maybe all of them being one single big node to cover up all you need. We will eventually get to that part. =)

That would be abit over the top for me to do unfortunately. Though what I aim for is having the exact structure that mugen does. Also implementing a non-painful character transfer so its easy to get someone’s fighter to your own game.

Second option is already working though what I fear is, people will eventually edit my template and change stuff fitting to their character, so things won’t work for someone else etc. But we will see all about that later :slight_smile:

I had one of my Admins over and FMHQ saying it would be awesome if we could import Fighter Maker 2nd characters to unreal…Samething here wishful thinking lol

I have in fact been messing around in Unreal for a few days only issues I’m having right now is figuring out how to get my punch to cause a hit reaction…Seen you was using traces so I decided to see what I could come up. The only problem is these doesn’t really snap to the character only thing I can get to snap is a sphere collision to a socket I have on the left hand.

Glad I have a full 3D model with fighter animations to try and play around with it. I’d be happy to share this model with you Achilleon if you want it so you can advance with 3d more.

But I guess I’m impatient and what something so my future project will have a base to go with.

Anyway keep up the good work you have a friend of yours over on FMHQ that mention you named sandymorrison hehe :slight_smile:

This really awesome!!! Keep up the AMAZING work!!!

Jeeeeez this project has come a long way.

Yay I am famous! :stuck_out_tongue:

As I mentioned though, converting another engine character to Unreal is like praying to God to turn your apple to banana because you would rather have a banana. It would take years for me to code something like that. I mean, I would like to do that for mugen but it’s just… Unreal is too flexable. What I mean is this; you can have your own file structure. For example I have two system modules named “Effect System” and “Sound System”. I plan to combine them together at a later date. You can’t just convert another file of another engine to Unreal because of this flexibility. Or it would just not worth the time.

My current aim is making things very easy so you won’t have to worry about the steps you need to take to come back to Unreal. :slight_smile:

Oh and if you check my youtube channel, you will see my first videos are actually 3D. So it’s not impossible to convert this to 3D. I will do it myself anyway. Though I realised that making animations takes alot of my time so I stopped. And I kinda like 2D :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks people. I am not showing much videos lately but I can assure that the progress goes on as fast as it can. It’s just that there isn’t much visual stuff going on yet. Expect a video next week though!

hey if you need animations for the 3D version I can make you something similar to what KFM had in mugen or something along the lines of ryu’s basic sfa style

I know myself that it would be almost impossible to do an import from another engine. Would be a lot of hex editor work I’m sure. Anyway yea I seen the videos using the Red and Blue 3d models. What I’m was saying to you is I have a model with animations baked in for a fighter. I’m currently using it myself to get a grip of the engine so far I have him walking,jumping, crouching and can throw a weak punch or Jab. With just a simple Apply any damage function to trigger an event to play a anim montage for a Weak High Hit.

But yea just basic stuff I haven’t got around to figuring out how to get the fighters to turn when you switch sides. But this is just a learning experience the real work will come when you release this project.

Thank you for the offer. I can do small stuff like that myself aswell. Though I still like working on the 2D alot and continue to do so till I reach to a nice point.

I see. There are afew problems related to 3D though,

1. Animgraph ain’t really beginner friendly.
  2. AnimMontages ain’t even close to intermediate friendly.
  3. Unreal has no animation mirror tool. (Not as bad as it sounds though, you can do that easily in the program you animate.)

With 2D, it’s mostly just filling the variables when it comes to 2d animations.

Ofcourse with Anim Montage we are losing a big plus which is Anim Notify System, but my own solution for 2D is underway.

I wouldn’t say “stop working” ofcourse, whatever you find that does not work, is something extra you have learnt. Which is what I have done for like… 7 months xP

PS: You still need to use traces, attaching collision shapes will cause you pain when you want an attack to hit two times. Also don’t use that “Apply Damage” function. It is mostly for FPS stuff and it might be hard to get things going when stuff gets complicated. Thats just a personal opinion though.

I’m far from being a beginner I started using Unreal Engine 4 back when it first went free and started working with it. I just stopped using it due to my project getting corrupted and had other things going on (Terrordrome updates FM2nd Project). Currently I have spheres set up within the character Left Hand and Arm attached using a sockets in the bones. Then I have traces set up in these locations from the start and end pins. Still working things out but I like doing it cause it’s a good way to learn.

Well, someone who never -ever- done anything related to game dev before might find it hard to get those stuff at it’s first moments. That’s what I meant.

Anyway, good luck on your journey.

Same to for you buddy looking forward to when you get this released!!

Took your advice on the Apply Damage event and found another way of gettings things working

Between Street Fighter V and this template, I’m getting to psyched to design a fighting game now! Thank you!

+1 agreed.

Achilleon have you got a timeline as to how long you think that you’ll have available to test and / or purchase?

Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy finally new update! Enjoy while it lasts people! :stuck_out_tongue:

Related to Everything

Tons of bugfixes, literally.

Ability System

• New Ability = Normal Dash: This is basicaly a hop. Double forward or backward will cause ken to hop to the direction it is requested. Ken is not able to do any move at dashing process, as there is no air-attack. Though he still can attack the moment he lands so he does not need to wait for “Dash End” animation to finish. Ken can only start moving freely the moment that said animation is done though.

• New Ability = Dark Slide: As wickedly awesome and amazing it sounds, it’s nothing but a slide to either forward or backward. Key point is Ken can do abilities at the very first moment he starts. Another addition is that Ken can rotate if the enemy jumps over etc, letting him have an advantage. One last thing to mention is that, this ability stops if it reaches to either camera visual limit or level border, triggering it’s ending animation.

• New Ability = Hit Cancel Dash: This ability is like “Normal Dash” but it doesn’t contain the air-movement and stays on the ground. It can be used after doing Shoryuken. Double forward tapping after either the first or second hit will stop Shoryuken and trigger this ability. Currently it is not balanced as you can constantly hit cancel every shoryuken. Also you can use this ability after Heavy Punch just for the testing purposes.

• New Ability = Ashura Senkuu: This ability is basicaly Akuma’s immune-to-hit sliding move. Currently it does not let Ken do any moves at the cost of being unhitable till the ending animation. Quality of the particle effects is subject to change.

• New Ability = Death Mark : After doing more than 4 hits with regular one button punch and kicks, doing heavy kick in the end will cause another “heavy kick” to trigger, adding a debuff on Red Ken. Basic way of triggering this is simple : LP + LK + MP + MK + HK. Only Ken in Black can trigger this.

The debuff allows dark ken to run in lighting speed to the enemy once and allows Shin Shoryuken to be instant in 0.6 second window after the rush. The eyes of the Debuff will be closed if the enemy and player’s distance is less than 4m. The moment eyes are open wide and red means that the shin shoryken is instant. This debuff lasts 15seconds.

• New Ability = Murderous Rush: Ken rushes in high speed towards the target’s behind, or front if the enemy is close to stage borders. Ken is immune to attacks during this rush and once the rush ends, he needs to quickly spam Heavy Punch button to cast Shin Shoryuken.

Enjoy it will you?

You go wild! ;D

I believe I can have a private alpha release in half a year. We will see about it though.

Anim Notify System?! In Paper2D? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?!

11abd9ff6de01da1701f53e076b160c73ddd7e11617695a86f99d151c2e1fa92.jpg

any updates

Hi, first of all congratulations on your awesome work, I’m really impressed with what you’ve achieved so far.

Following AlanNoon’s question, I’ve seen your videos on youtube and I found that, as you said, you started in 3D first. My question is, you used Paper2D’s collision boxes to set up the box tracings for collision checking in the 2D version. Then, how did you set up the box tracings and collisions in the 3D version, and how do the box tracings work to detect a collision? I’m especially interested in cases where the character moves, like the Shoryuken.

Thank you very much in advance.

Nope. I am doing internal stuff so it will take a while to get an update.

Thank you for your kind words, they mean alot.

Unfortunately I have no answer for your question, as before going 2D, I was using the capsule component to test attacks. It was easier but ofcourse you can’t use it in a normal game. So what I had planned was using the collision of physx asset. I do not see any other reasonable way of doing it.

In my calculations traces follow the attacker. They are like snapped. So at every game tick the box trace get repositioned depending on where it’s caster is. I can show a screenshot of the macro if you so desire, it’s kind of simple. :slight_smile:

That would indeed help, I’d appreciate it a lot if you would, please. I’m pretty stuck with what I’m trying to do and every bit of information can be a life saver for me right now, so thank you very much in advance again.

I’m also very interested to know where exactly did you “snap” the traces, on a local offset or to the animation skeleton itself for instance.