PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D

This is the inner part of the macro where it says “Calculation for Box Trace” in my response to Mr Alan. Note that my attack event ticks every frame so does this calculation. =)

Now I see how its location is calculated. It was simpler than I thought but still very useful and I thank you for that.

I’ve got a final follow-up question that is half-related to this but related to what I’m stuck with, if you’d like to provide a hint I’d be very grateful. What I’m trying to do, is to have like a 3D-flipbook of sorts for collision volumes/traces only. I can picture its inner workings but I only see two ways of defining moves under that kind of framework in Unreal with my current knowledge:

1 - Using a txt file or something like that, writing the data for each active box, for each frame (type/size/rotation/location on local coordinates). I could pool the hitboxes to avoid giving the garbage collector extra work and simply change their properties and active statuses over each frame. This is however probably a bad idea from a visual-feedback standpoint: Tweaking numbers in a txt file and then testing each time seems like a sub-optimal workflow.
2 - Storing the hitboxes in some sort of structure, so that I would only have to activate/deactivate them as needed. In order to do this visually they would probably have to be set up either in the level editor or the blueprint actor editor (through its components’ locations in the viewport maybe), but that doesn’t look very optimal either.

My question is, is there perhaps a more viable way of defining attacks in a paradigm like this one (3D hitboxes per frame) without relying on 3D animations done in external programs or creating a whole editor extension for that purpose? If not, which approach do you think could be better suited for this? Thank you very much again.

Wow wow wow hold on there. xD

Why are you making this rocket science? :slight_smile: You don’t need to hold information for each possible frame. That is madness!

What you see above already does the job it supposed to do. The macro constantly gets the world location of the box component (aka capsule for speaking of Unreal) constantly and always offsets from it regardless the position.

You should NOT use any collision boxes. You shouldn’t use any type of meshes. Traces are the only way to do this. I tried it MANY MANY times to use volumes, and various shapes. It’s not working. It becomes literally rocket science if you want to use them because you constantly have to check “is overlapping”.

Not only that, you should constantly need to disable and enable the collision if you want an attack to be continuous. Imagine Shoryuken hitting per 5 game tick delay as the move goes on.

The list goes on.

Soon I will make a small test level where I can adjust the box trace and use its information on the real game instead. So it will be like Trace-Editor. Then I will add more trace choices, shape and number wise.

Maybe I didn’t understand your question, but from what I see, you don’t need 3D hitbox creation whatsoever. What I do, which is box tracing with information getting updated every tick depending on player position, works quite well and I do not see any reason to change it. =)

I also had many problems with this, including this one in some instances:

What happens.
What should happen (sweep).

Fortunately, traces solve that.

How to do this is what I’m most interested in, so that I can define attacks, their traces, and their active times properly. This is exactly what I’m having trouble doing.

I find that reasonable as long as I find a way to define them properly, which is what I’m having the most trouble with.

Alright, let me try one more time;

I have one event that spams at a specific time. Lets say you are doing a Shoryuken, and the amount it takes for Ken/Ryu to get highest point of the rise (y movement) takes 0.45 seconds.

From 0.0 seconds to 0.45, I have this event that spams. This event triggers a box trace and with the help of the macro above, I recalculate the position of box trace. The forward vector and the world location of the Box Component (Replaced Capsule Component of Pawn) lets box trace information get snapped.

Once again if you look above, all I input into macro is the coordinates and the box half size. As I use the forward vector and the location of the base component, the box trace always happens relative to the location of its caster.

Now I got it, I was missing several key aspects because I wasn’t simplifying enough, when everything else I was considering was an extension of the basics. I finally got it working and I now know how to proceed, thank you very much for everything!

I need more Unreal Fighter 2D in my life!

If something this template told me, it was that there are 10+ ways to do something, yet the most important one is finding the simplistic solution! Good luck

You shall has! New video tonight!

— Battle System Progress 3 —

There you go people! Supers :slight_smile:

I am interested in the Paper2D Anim Notify System you have created. Is there any way for you to tell me roughly what you did or to provide code for that system specifically? It is on Epic’s to do list but it is very low on that list and I would rather not wait for them before being able to do what I want with driving hitboxes/events through animation.

I will give more information regarding to it once I fix the problems it has. It is not something exactly awesome, but fixes my problems and needs. :slight_smile:

Hey, glad to see you’re still going at it! Can’t wait to try it out!

any new updates?

Hey there graves, just creating macros/functions to use so spending times to test them out. Nothing visible I want to show yet but know that I still go on. :slight_smile:

If I may ask, how did you get your camera to function the way it does? I cannot seem to get mine to quite function in the same manner.

Glad to hear still working on everything

No worries, I am still full force on this. Just don’t want to spend time on making videos yet. I have already proved it is possible. Now it is time to wrap the basic functions up.

Later on I will create a video where I go step by step on creating a character. Till then, enjoy the wait! :stuck_out_tongue:

I completely understand like why spend time making vids when you can finish other functions

Achilleon, any updates

Still working on it . Won’t show anything until my update is fully completed.