Project Overview: Summer Crash Combat for Team Prodigy

Project Overview: Summer Crash Combat for Team Prodigy

Hi, fellow creators! I’m here today to share with you the details and challenges of my latest project I completed for my Team : @TEAMPRODIGY.PRO , which was our submission for the Fortnite Summer Callout. The journey was exciting, educative, and at times a little overwhelming, but I think you might find some value in the process. Plus, there might be a few handy project management tips in here too! :smile:

Summer_Crash_Combat_8059-3697-4867_10

Team Blue: Cool Blue Surfers Home Base

Day One: Drawing the Battle Lines

Day one saw me laying out the game mechanics, drawing from a plethora of items like item granters, spawners, and an endgame device. Inspiration struck when I revisited a tutorial by Epic for the Team Elimination Game. I admired the team-based approach where players advance through weapon tiers collaboratively.

This tutorial was my guiding light in creating a code to balance teams, assign weapon tiers, and customize the game experience with integers and arrays. However, I did introduce a few tweaks of my own. For instance, I added a cinematic device for starting scenes and additional item granters and player spawn pads that worked flawlessly in an array!
I hope it showcases what wonders can be created using Epic’s Team Elimination Game Tutorial!

:coin: Project Management Tip #1
It is a great idea to try to build on existing resources and you can find a ton of resources here on the EDC!

< View Community Snippets >

Remember to use these as stepping stones and make necessary modifications to suit your unique project requirements.

The Rushing Green Titans base (SUMMER CRASH COMBAT - TEAM PRODIGY)

Embracing the Summer Fun

In keeping with the summer resort theme, I decided against using sentries as bosses like the team elimination game tutorial suggested and chose a more light-hearted approach! I created an area for players to emote and dance with friends to earn gold, which could then be spent in the shops scattered across the island! :tada:

Full Game Walkthrough

To create these areas, I used capture zones that would neutralize as soon as another team comes in and dances, encouraging the players to protect their dance zone. Teams can have a lot of fun protecting zones so they can earn gold or just choose to dance if they like.

If you haven’t used Capture Zones before, check out my latest Event binding tutorial that shows you how to implement these into your creative works!

The Toolbox: Building the Dream

The project development lasted (7) seven days, with an additional (4) four days for testing and adjustments. The landscaping tools, like the Sculpt and Landscape Copy Tool, played a vital role in shaping the land. I also relied on the Paint Tool to create immersive paths and trails.

Summer Crash Combat Speed Build

Summer_Crash_Combat_8059-3697-4867_30

I used Modeling Mode to craft the pillars for Team Blue’s base, finding the customizability to be a real boon compared to using primitive shapes.

:coin: Project Development Tip #1:
Blend custom models and primitives for a more efficient and flexible build process.

Breathing Life into the Island

Creating the game concept was an absolute blast. The Points of Interest (POIs) developed personalities of their own, which led me to design custom characters and images.

I leveraged the power of Niagara to bring a vibrant, mystical feel to the main resort area. The night ambiance was like stars descending to the earth—exactly the feel I was aiming for!

And let’s not forget the music! :notes:—I licensed five tracks to encapsulate the essence of the game. Sadly, vocal announcements had to wait due to memory constraints, but it’s on the cards for the future!

Full Map Tour: Finale

Check out the Map!!
Map Code: 8059-3697-4867
Creator Code: TEAMPRO
Concept, Level Design, Mechanics, Art, Trailer, Graphics: @DRAGONSTUDIO
Play Now on Epic https://www.fortnite.com/creative/island-codes/8059-3697-4867
Read More About the Project: SUMMER CRASH COMBAT - TEAM PRODIGY

Parting Thoughts

The production of Summer Crash Combat began May 26, 2023, and has taken less than two weeks to complete, with a total base production time of 11 days, fitting snugly within the Summer Callout deadline! The major challenge? The ticking clock. Juggling multiple projects and deadlines can be tough, and Im still on that journey as we speak, lol

So here’s

:coin: Project Management Tip #2
Prioritize and allocate time blocks for different tasks to ensure everything gets done on time.

Adopting this particular strategy enabled me to effectively navigate the vast scope of this production. The resources available on the EDC turned out to be an essential asset, significantly contributing to the project’s accomplishment. To be clear, by success, I am not referring to accolades or popularity, but instead, the ability to meet designated milestones and the knowledge acquired through the project. In my perspective, this is what truly characterizes a successful project.

At the time of this post, the game has reached a memory limit of 97,498. With more memory, I think I would’ve added custom pop ups, voice over announcements, enhanced the aesthetics, for the outer area and thrown in a longer music playlist. But hey, that’s a lesson for the next project, lol :blush:

Despite the challenges, the project was a thrilling experience and a significant learning curve. I hope my journey and the tips sprinkled throughout this post serve as a useful insight, showing you how you can managing your creative projects when faced with a tight deadline.

Since this was a team project, I had to squeeze it ahead of my personal project The Great Race: A Showcase Collection of my First UEFN Game Project which is still under production. During that time, I still was able to release a few of my older projects that have been in production for some time such as Happy Yappy, Jelly Pop and Chroma FFA. These projects were released within two months, even though I am still under production for other team projects. So its been an awesome ride! :+1:

So here’s to more efficiency, creativity, and phenomenal Fortnite builds in the future!
Catch you in the next build!

Keep it positive and safe!
Dragon
(@DRAGONSTUDIO)

:tada: Epic recently featured my tutorials! :tada:
Check out the post here on the EDC!
Featured Tutorials by BLZE.DRAGON

5 Likes

Love it! Amazing!

2 Likes