[PROJECT] [FREE] 2D Fire infinite runner - Community Project

I do not spend as much time as I would like for the development of games, because the main work and family take up most of my time. Nevertheless, I consider it very important to share our success with other newcomers who are trying to start their journey. That is why I am starting this project, At the moment I am posting a very simple example, which was inspired by tutorial from GameMaker.
Any comments and changes that you will post in this thread are extremely welcome. The goal of this project is to create a community project that will be freely available in the unreal marketplace. Take what you want, change as you want. Any help and comments in thread is appreciated.

Because this is a very early version of the project, the changes that I will do I will try to describe and upload to this thread.

From Russia with Love.

Current version: 0.05 alpha
Unreal Editor version: 5.1
Discord: UE4 Community Projects

Feel free to download current version here.
Unreal Engine project files: Download project

Unreal engine Community project of doodle jump (Infinite vertical platformer).

Current features in alpha:

• Bouncing Off windows
  • Background scrolling
  • Spawning windows
  • In middle screen movement
  • Random spawning civilians
  • Animation of civilian and player

Youtube gameplay showcase

Other equally interesting [FREE] Community Projects (still under development):

[PROJECT] [FREE] 2D Platformer - Community Project

[PROJECT] [FREE] Space shooter - Community Project

Feel free to ask questions and welcome to discussion and help in discord channel:
Discord channel

3 Likes

Upload Ver. 0.03a

• Improved logic of blueprints with a fresh mind and cleanup unused blocks.
  • changed player gravity and math speed of environment_bp and player_bp

Known bugs:

• TileMap (background of game) disappears in Playmode if restart project.

To resolve bug:

• Course TileMap in UE 5.01 still beta got glitch than u open project. To make it appear again u need open Environment_BP and press DEL on TileMap component, and than press ctr+Z to restore it. After that background will appear in playmode.

Снимок4

2 Likes

Upload Ver. 0.04a

• made some changes in logic of blueprints
  • add spawn random civilians in “window blueprint”
  • project recompiled in UE 5.1 version
  • add animation states of player
  • add animation of civilians

3 Likes

Greetings @nixsnake !

As busy as your life may be, I must commend you for taking the time out to create a project that the community can build upon, learn from, and experiment with.

Do you have a video showcasing the randomly spawning civilians? Are the civilians designed as a challenging distraction, or do they knock the player off the platform?

2 Likes

Hey its first post from another person in topic, thank u for this. Getting feedback is a great motivation to keep working in this direction.

As I mentioned earlier, I’m in the process of adapting a GameMaker tutorial for the Unreal Engine environment.

Since some things are easier to do in UE, some are harder, and some things I have no idea how to do, this process takes more time than you can imagine. For me, an attempt to repeat game mechanics that are well explained - serves as a good helper in learning the Unreal Engine.

Despite the fact that the main development vector for Unreal Engine is AAA projects and large studios, I see that they also do not leave indie developers and the creation of the Learning Portal is the best confirmation of this. For me, Unreal Engine remains the most convenient engine to work with, which always leaves a pleasant feeling.

But back to the game mechanics of this project.

• The main idea of ​​the game is that the higher you climb, the more points you will get.
  • While you are climbing to the top you are saving the civilians when you collide with them and they parachute down.
  • Also on your way there will be fire obstacles, on which you cannot stand, you will lose.

Briefly about the main features that I plan to implement:

• Civilian rescue system and scores (events on colliding with civilian, civilian score and height score)
  • Bonus: Jump Effect
  • Damage system: spawning Fire Obstacles (u can make it safe with Shooting Foam), Losing From Fire, Losing From Falling Down
  • Animated GUIs
  • Main menu (Buttons, Fade Transition, Sounds)
  • Game Over Screen
  • High Scores
  • Music and Sound Effects

I upload a new video of current progress to youtube, also in video i showing bug with tilemap and how to solve it.

3 Likes

Upload Ver. 0.05a

• made some minor changes in logic of blueprints
  • add some function and clear blueprints
1 Like

Huh, I’m curious what next project will be that copy gamemaker tutorials. Some kind of interesting RPG just like “FriendlyCosmonaut” created maybe?

1 Like

Hey thanks for reply in post. Course some lazy things and a little time for now, i will make “classic asteroid” remake of gamemaker.
But put in plans this nice game too. Especially games of this genre make you fall into childhood and memories.

1 Like

I think now “Cropout Sample Project” by Epic, is best project u could imagine :smiley:

1 Like

Love it.
Keep up the Great Work!!

1 Like