"Programs" and "Rules" in visual studio solution UE5.3

Does everyone have these 2 extra folders and additional build actions when opening a 5.3 .sln file that weren’t present in other versions? To reproduce: Launch 5.3 through the Epic launcher. Create a new 3rd person c++ project. Open the .sln. I see the the Programs and Rules folders. Building queues up 40+ actions when I expect only 1.

Opening the uproject with Rider helps, but what’s going on with the engine folder not loading well? Additionally, building fresh brand-new 5.3 projects with either Rider or VS has 40+ actions compared to 1 action in previous versions. Initially, It wouldn’t build for me until I updated NuGet (see bellow if you have that issue) I don’t think it’s a 5.3 thing. I believe OP and I have done something wrong.

I’ve tried:
Uninstalling 5.3.
Deleting the AppData/unreal folder.
reinstalling 5.3
verifying VS installer
updating NuGet package source (Do this first if you’re having build failures)

5.3 builds were acting normal 2 days ago for me. I’m trying to think of things I’ve changed. I first noticed it when I move an older 5.3 project to a new folder, and I thought that broke that project, but it’s the same issue in new projects. There were 100’s of ‘error NU1102: Unable to find package’ until I updated NuGet. It builds now, but there’s extra stuff, 40+ actions, it’s building and those 2 extra folders. Additionally, I changed some VS settings as per UE docs. I changed Editor settings to Rider Uproject. All prior to me noticing the issue was more than that project I moved.

How to update NuGet / get the 40+ actions to build and not fail:

1. Open Visual Studio (you can select Continue Without Code)
  2. Navigate to Tools > Options > NuGet Package Manager > Package Sources
  3. You’ll most likely see only one source titled “Microsoft Visual Studio Offline Packages”
  4. Click the “+” button to add a new source
  5. Name it whatever, and type “https://api.nuget.org/v3/index.json ” for the source
  6. Click the “Update” button and then make sure it’s checked