Procedural dynamic Automatic Landscape Material Set 3 Tropical Islands

Hello atmadaenygma

Q: Is there a way to double the map size (from 8 km to 16 or even 32km)

A: according to my tests you can have in a single map about 20 by 20 km where everything works. Things that are further away render properly but some problems withe the floating point precisions and the distance to the world origin start to happen.

You can put as many height map based landscapes in to your map if you like to get a bigger game world without loosing details, otherwise you can juts change the scale of the landscape.

However there is a limit for the build process of 2 GB of data per map file. This can become problematic if you like to have a filled huge world with 20 by 20 km in a single map file.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/75268/cook-failed-fmemorywriter-does-not-support-data-la.html

The solution is most likely for you to use the World Composition system that allows you to build a gigantic map out of good to handle sub maps see this link.

Q: different things 1. beach 2. swampy area with inner islands, 3. 1 port town and one small town with many dispersed villages.

The material system is automatic and dynamic hence you can use it on any landscape and it also works with all landscapes that you build your self not only those that are include in the package.

However you can only have one automatic and dynamic material system per landscape with a good performance. I would recommend to use multiple landscapes in the map If you need locations with a completely different look and adjust the settings accordingly so that each of them has a separate materiel instance of the procedural material.

The system will also work seamless across multiple landscapes if both have the same material on them and the points where they intersect are in the same place and not to different withe there vertex normal.

Q: For that reason I really like the map 4 (down)-3 (over)

You don’t have to chose just one you can have multiple height map based landscapes, you are also not restricted to what is in the pack you can build and add your own height maps. It is worth mentioning that you can import and export landscape maps out of the editor as RAW files. This is useful if you like to backup things or use, save or edit them outside of the editor. You can even combine them using an image editing software. You can use all things in the packs in any way you like, I would recommend to use the maps as starting points and adjust them to what you need if you like one of them and need a quick result. I created the maps with attention to detail but its up to you to edit them for your “small town” and other locations and adjust things to fit your game.

As a side note see Landscape Splines to build roads and pathways and so on:

Dear author of this: Thx for sharing these nice gifts :slight_smile: the water was really an uplifting!

Hello

Thank you for your feedback regarding the water and waves. I am attempting to make this as good
as possible but it is just one aspect of this sett. I see if I can tackle your points without making it to
computation intensive, right now I am using a not tessellated water surface so a vertex-offset
is not such a good solution but I will test it. To my knowledge there is a community project going
on to build the perfect water and waves so there is a team working on a different solution
however I think they changed some c++ code in a special build to make it work.

Q: valleys, plains, mountains, jungles, etc. in addition to the rockyldirt textures

A: The pack has by far more textures than you see in the currently posted images, In fact you are only define the
structures and detail variations with textures and assign the coloring and all parameters for the procedural set. See this image out of the first set to see some of the adjustments settings and the results:

9637930cf8a95573a31ef6cbda281892bd3c1b31.jpeg

I think you’re right on the water - if your current water is a separate material than the landscape (I’m assuming it has to be otherwise you’re working some crazy voodoo) then you’re probably better off focusing less on the water and more on the landscape itself. If that’s the case, ignore my thoughts on the waves.

The picture you linked shows vertex colors on landscape layers - exactly how many landscape layers do you have in this island material (or will have once its done)? Are they all using unique textures? The reason I’m asking is because if I have a jungle environment that sits above the beach level and leads into a volcano or mountain, I’d want each of those biomes to have their own fundamental set of textures (and not just color changes). I think this is what you’re doing, but I’m very surprised you’re able to get that many textures onto a landscape without it going black due to texture input overload.

Hello

This is a preview of the landscape texture variations in combination with the procedural coloring in use.

Use the link for a 4K view of the image.

http://cyberpunkcity.de/img/Island_Texture_Demo_HQ.jpg

Hi chronos3k,

Your image does a great job showing the layer variations but they’re all uniformly distributed up the cliff. I think we’re just slightly misunderstanding each other. Do you have an example where the beach height transitions into the grass height? Your first images show only the dirt and rock covering the entire island, and I really liked those textures for the beaches (and would want to use them), but I would also need grass for the parts of the island that are far enough above the shore to make for logical jungles and valleys and plains.

I’m sorry - I feel like I’m being very nit-picky on the exact details, but at least half of the marketplace assets I’ve purchased really weren’t what they seemed and required significant work after purchase to get working as intended, so I’m a little jaded by that.

So far you’ve shown us an island landscape with and brown rock covering the entire island. Then after my questions you showed a landscape with grass and gray rock covering the entire island. Is there an option to have the and brown rock down by the shore line, then at higher levels have the grass + gray rock?

Thanks!

PS - Far Cry 4 has some pretty good examples of what I’m trying to say: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/50/31/6/static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1525/15257558/2453513-4202835776-23826.png and http://hdw.datawallpaper.com/videogames/far-cry-3-291842.jpg

Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag is also a good example.

Hello

I created and added a special version of the system upon your request and for all others who need the feature that supports a wider range of configuration for the distribution and coloring of elements. However this version is more expensive to compute.

I will also do in the next weeks a service update to the older packs that adds this system update to them.

See image:

Ah this is excellent - thank you so much! Game worlds have to be able to hold several different biomes or risk being repetitive and boring, so this addition is perfect for that purpose. The game I’m working on (Indigenous) allows the player to spend most of his time on a single island (or sailing around it), which means they have to be big in size and height. :slight_smile:

I’ll be generating my own heightmaps from World Machine to tailor to our game experience, but I have one last question/request for you:

The steep cliff shown in red here would normally be pure rock face (maybe with some tiny grass spots on the flatter areas) because of its slope angle. In most cases the color of that rock doesn’t change no matter the height, unless it’s above 1000km sea level. This is different from the alpine environment you’ve done in the past.

It looks like you’re doing this correctly because the texture looks different there than in other places on the island, but I just wanted to make sure that it’s a space I could individually edit since it’s not colored like cliff rock would be.

Q: steep cliff slope angle:

A: yes you can set all of that and individually edit it.

Ok great! I think I’m done harassing you :slight_smile:

When are you looking to submit to Epic?

today :wink:

Is there a pack for a desert scene? or is there a way for me to use this to create one?

Hello MarmAmic

I also did a pack for desert scene its also in the submit process See:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?69177-Procedural-dynamic-Automatic-Landscape-Material-Set-2-desert-edition

final video showing features for marketplace item:

Excellent work. I’ll be purchasing :slight_smile:

Any updates/progress to publication?Regards
Slinky

Anything? Really want this one over the marketplace Alpine one.

yea i would like to have this materials! water and landscape. I need to investegate.

Interesting erosion and look of terrain on those screens, might be usefull even for not using tropical islands. Ocean depth is very usefull.

Still keen to know what’s happening with this… It makes me a little reluctant to buy marketplace stuff when authors don’t respond for a month.