Procedural dynamic Automatic Landscape Material Set 3 Tropical Islands

Hello all.

I did just get back from holiday and I had to finish lots of things for the GDC Europe and GamesCom. It looks like the island pack will be in this weeks marketplace update.

If anyone here likes to meet at the GDC Europe or GamesCom next week, let me know I will probably have some time.

now on marketplace https://www.unrealengine.com/content/c7175d1c43bd44a587dfe745bded01b6

i’m new to it, can i change the materials for quixel suite textures? thank you!

You can change the individual layers textures as you can see in this picture on the left https://cdn1.epicgames.com/ue/item/TropicalIslands_Screenshot_06-1920x1080-1d96bd496355350ba146abb87af59f9d.png . But these textures are specially crafted to work with the system so just taking some textures and putting them into texture slots without editing will not result in a perfect final look. The system doesn’t utilize the standard setup of diffuse, metallic, roughness and normal map. It is based on a desaturated defuse map edited with a high path filter that is colored by a vector parameter and the metallic and roughness are computed in the material. The system implementation for the dynamic landscape material is rather different to your normal material setups.

So the answer is yes but probably not in the way that you currently think you would use them. However you have full control over everything that happens in the landscape material via the instant materials and if you want to you can edit the master material itself to do whatever you want inside of it.

But usually there is no need to actually build your own textures in order to use a system since there are already several texture variations included that you can just adjust to your needs.

Oh cronos, thanks for the information! I’ll be buying this, thanks again.

I am having all sorts of trouble trying to import any of the included heightmaps. I have purchased this pack and I am a complete noob! Any directions would be great. I have tried it while the demo map is open and I have tried to create a new project (first person) and import one of the heightmaps but nothing is working for me.

Hello MURay

Please see the Unreal documentation:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/images/Engine/Landscape/Creation/Landscape_Import_Section.jpg

There is a bug in the import function that is not automatically detecting the right dimensions. The workaround is to set the section size to 256x256 Quads and the Number of Components to 16x16 for 4096 maps and 32x32 for 8192 maps. You can select in the material slot in the same window the material instance that you like to use. Then click on Import to get the new landscape in the editor.

Thank you kind Sir! I can now import the heightmaps!

My next question is about the demo maps. Can I use it with any of the heightmaps? I can remove the landscape that is currently the default for the demo and replace it no problem. But I want to get rid of the 3rd person aspect completely because I want to be testing with a first person perspective. I am not sure how to do this. This should be my last question I hope!

Thanks for any thoughts.

Is this going to be updated to be supported for 4.9?

it is working on 4.9

I am working on a new tessellation water blueprint and material. Once I have that it could be a good add-on pack for the Island pack but I will make it in a way so that it also works in other settings.

This is a video showing the water and the camera distance base lod for the tessellation and material

When are you targeting the updates water to be ready?

Info: in the 4.10 it is worth looking at the game quality and texture streaming settings as well as LOD’s settings in general and adjust the object LOD values accordingly to get the best visual results.

New demo 4.9 and Rift Support press k to change maps

http://gkdev.eu/ue4/Island_Demo.zip

6569d7a853e372f2dce271840b5037942abf8da9.jpeg

Attention there is a bug in the 4.10 build that is not related to my pack but creates problems with the foliage in the demo maps of this pack see: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/334571/ue-410-foliage-disappearance-bug.html

Everything works in 4.8 and 4.9

You can solve the problem by deleting the foliage instances in the Foliage type list and place them new. This bug only effects the demo maps but has no influence on the use of the package since I assume most of you will be importing height maps and building new maps.

Having just purchased your latest build, I immediately saw the bug and wasn’t very pleased. When will you have an updated build without the problem?

Thanks!

anyway you can make it a little cheaper?

automatic grass feature

I added automatic grass feature with ability to use painting layer masks to remove it where you don’t like grass to show up to the Island pack update. It is not supported in the material instances as of version 4.10 load Demo_Map_2_Lanyard_World to see it in action it uses the material. Automatic_Landscape_Layered_Master_Islands_waves_auto_grass
This is in the update that I am submitting this week that also fixes the LOD Bug in the old demo maps.

0850b3e67c44749c6be3f1ba104ab89e7d0ec8e1.jpeg

9c249888f668fd93c5ef6e37fefa851776b693cd.jpeg

yes, submitting it now, sorry for the delay it only impacted the two demo maps not the use of all other things

Hi @cronos3k I want to design the level in my project but I cannot add your project to my current project since is a different project so I ask you what to do.

Should I migrate all your project to mine from yours in order to be able to design the map in my own project?

Thanks