Procedural dynamic Automatic Landscape Material Set 3 Tropical Islands

Awesome! that looks perfect for what I have in mind :slight_smile:

Thanks for listening to my request :wink:

so you are selling the materials and the maps in your packages ? Becouse i keep seeing ā€œprocedural automatic landscapeā€ and Epic gives that for free allready

Hello Axxi

Can you be more specific with your question? What do you mean with is ā€œEpic gives that for free alreadyā€ do you have links that validate this statement in the context of what I am offering?

What I am selling is in no way anything redundant. I did build this solution to solve something that is not covered by what is already in the engine without putting some intensive work behind implementing it.

Pleas see the Technical Details as they are described on the marketplace Item:

ā€œThis package offers you an all in one solution that requires no painting of material layers. All you have to do is edit your landscape in the editor and the Automatic Landscape Material is doing all the work of making everything you just edited look properly textured. This offers you a huge speed advantage when working on landscapes and looks also rather believable since the texture is driven by the real landscapes structure and features.ā€(AutoLandscapeAlpine: https://www.unrealengine.com/content/060bdb4a48334b1d9cf3b430710e477d#&gid=1&pid=3)

So you are right when it comes to landscapes and textureing them the engine is doing that but you have to either paint the material distribution splat textures by hand or you have to import them from an external tool along with your level height map like explained in this tutorial ( 5. Painting Landscape Materials | Unreal Engine Documentation ). This solution function but requires additional work when you start editing the landscape in the editor since you have to adjust the textures distribution by hand painting it when you change the height map. This is what makes the difference between both solutions the standard one is static and this one is automatic.

See this video link for an explenation: Automatic landscape texturing - YouTube

download the kite demo and just place the landscape material from that to any landscape or map itā€™s procedural dynamic landscape material with adjustments etc

Hello Axxi

I did as you suggested and downloaded the 20gb ā€œkite demoā€.

This is what I did find:

My current conclusion is that the ā€œkite demoā€ offers some solution for the procedural material in the demos context and works good in combination with the procedural plants system. But it is for now no solution like the one that I did build that also works in older builds. The system that I am using has been first build by me for my planet creator that I did build in Q4 2014 and submitted to the marketplace on the 10.01.2015. Hence your point is valid when it comes to epic having a demo that has a procedural material but that has no relation to the things that I am doing other than the engine since both are not alike in the implementation and compatibility. In fact the Vehicle Game demo had already a simplistic partly procedural landscape materiel in it.

so you saw that the epic material does the same thing basically as your system and you decided to throw in my face that your system works with older versions as an excuse and that your system is made in other way that bla bla i dare you to make a video and show the kite demo material in action and than compare it with your material in action, donā€™t show me the nodes show me only what it does becouse thatā€™s what you are selling here people are buying your system for what it does not for HOW it was made.Make a video EXACTLY as your demo video from the alpine pack that you have but please use the kite demo material and show us the difference . thank you

i have nothing agains your work you are talented and hard working guy as i see it but be honest atleast and donā€™t try to take money from poeple with 10 systems that are doing the same thing

Hello Axxi

The systems in the different packs are similar in the design but explicitly not the same.What of course, you can not know since only one of them is right now on the marketplace. Every pack is optimized regarding features and performance and altered for the use case. Like for example the Island system has an animated coastline effect in it that works in combination with a special water surfaces blueprint and materiel to make coastline wave effects. It also has different base textures than the Alpine set and comes with new special crafted island landscapes height maps to import as well as plants and rocks and out of the box Levels to use so it is definitely worth buying for users that donā€™t what to do all of that them self. No one forces anyone to buy anything and can build all things them self if they like to. I am always putting additional things in the sets and improving them and if fixes or improvements make sens for older sets I also do an update to them.

You seam to like ā€œarguingā€ about this, However I donā€™t see any point in explaining more that I just did in this context.

Itā€™s worth mentioning two things I think:

1. The picture youā€™re describing as the ā€œKite Demo Landscape Materialā€ is not a complete representation of that material. If you were to break open the numerous material layers and functions found in that picture youā€™ll realize that your picture only shows about 1/15th of the actual materialā€™s nodes. The material is clean and nice, but itā€™s also stupidly complicated in some places. So complicated that itā€™s difficult to really use in a game project without significant knowledge of the processes used (so you can significantly alter it to fit your game). Itā€™s complicated nature also makes it expensive.

2. You started working on this before the Kite Demo was released. Iā€™m not sure anyone can claim that youā€™re just putting out a copy of something like the Kite Demo when you had product available for download prior to seeing the demo materials.

stop being so angry people, let him do his thing.

Hey, I just wanted to step in here and say there is no need to get heated. This is a really impressive material set and should be happy to see something cool like this.

Letā€™s keep it civil here. Thank you.

Are you going to release this tool or is it already released? I feel really dumb asking this, but Iā€™m curious.

Hello Wrekk

The Island Set is right now not available. Its in the submission process to the marketplace. I am making the adjustments to it to get all the final improvements in.

However my first set AutoLandscapeAlpine is available right now see this link.

https://www.unrealengine.com/content/060bdb4a48334b1d9cf3b430710e477d

The Alpine one is different to the Island Set. If you can tell me a bit about what you like to do with the set I can make a suggestion regarding what makes sense to use as a development starting point for you game setting.

You can also download the demo builds that are linked in the posts to walk around and see what they offer and how things look.

Iā€™d like to use it for creating open-world levels with relative ease. Is the 4.8 grass system used in your AutoLandscapeAlpine?

Hello Wrekk

Sorry the AutoLandscapeAlpine pre-dates the 4.8 build and grass system. When it comes to textures however you can download this build and have a look at what it is. If the grass system should be compatible to what I am doing I will make an update to the set but for now I can not confirm that it is compatible since I did not work in the 4.8 build with the grass system.

Download Link:

http://www.instantworlds.eu/Procedural_dynamic_Automatic_Landscape_Material_Set1_Alpine_edition_Demo_Map.rar

This is a test image with the included grass like plant placed by hand and some different settings on the landscape instance materiel

@Cronos - Good stuff man, looks like this pack will have a lot of goodies for island junkies like myself and TK-Master :slight_smile:

Tropical Islands height maps

Hello all

This is an overview image withe the first 32 of the Tropical Islands landscapes height maps on it. I use a high contrast and structured materiel instance settings to show all the details in the map and the images are taken from about 12 km away. The maps are in an 1 to 1 scale setting 407999 unreal-units, that should equal about 8 km in size or 64kmĀ².

Click the link for a full resolution preview image (44 mb):

http://cyberpunkcity.de/img/Island_landscape_0001_to_0032_big.jpg

advanced wave shoreline implementation

This is my advanced wave, shoreline implementation for the Tropical Islands pack with animated reflection and refraction shown in detail in action in two 4k videos.

IIs there a way to double the map size (from 8 km to 16 or even 32km) I really like one map in particular but I want my game to be a Open world of sorts and I need to be able to fit a lot of different things 1. beach 2. swampy area with inner islands, 3. 1 port town and one small town with many dispersed villages.

For that reason I really like the map 4 (down)-3 (over)

Is this possible?

Iā€™m pretty sure his material setup is completely procedural so you could import your own heightmaps and this will just work out of the box. Correct me if Iā€™m wrong though.

On a separate note - your island stuff is very interesting and the progress youā€™re making is great, but I live next to a beach and the tide looks way different than what youā€™re working towards. Right now it looks like your water level goes up and down uniformly to fake the idea of the tide going in and out. An actual tide will crest somewhere in the water where itā€™s 3-6 feet deep (average), fall into itself, then create a foamy wave thatā€™s physically higher (deeper) than the rest of the water. This wave gradually flattens out as it covers more of the shore. Thereā€™s velocity to that as well - it speeds up as it gains momentum then dies out at the very end, then speeds up when it comes back. You could use displacement for this effect since collision isnā€™t necessary.

Iā€™m also going to second the above guyā€™s post request. If your material is 100% procedural (like your others) then thereā€™s no issue on the size of your islands, but I would want textures for valleys, plains, mountains, jungles, etc. in addition to the rocky/dirt textures you have now.