Problem with Distance field shadows still appearing on foliage instances that have been culled

Hey there.

I am having a problem with my foliage shadows.

Its a very simple problem where the distance field shadows of my foliage remain visible despite the foliage itself being culled.

Obviously I am culling my foliage at a certain distance for performance reasons and I would also like their distance field shadows to be culled too.

I have a giant forest of large trees that don’t get culled by distance that I want to keep projecting distance field shadows out to a certain distance, but for all of my smaller foliage I would like their shadows to cull with the foliage instances.

Is this a bug or is their something that needs to be rebuilt? I am using dynamic lighting.

Note: Setting “affect distance field lighting” to “false” in the static mesh’s LOD settings should be the logical solution but It doesn’t change anything.

Thanks in advance

For anyone reading this in the future

I believe distance field shadows cannot be removed or altered in any way at runtime. Because of this I have no choice but to remove distance field shadows from my foliage as all my trees and bushes etc are choppable/harvestable which would leave the distance field shadows in place even when the actual actor/foliage instance is destroyed.

Correct me if anyone thinks im wrong but for now I am going to use distance field shadows only for indestructible terrain pieces like cliffs and boulders etc and have all my foliage use only dynamic shadowing.