Physics enabled Static Meshes in Child Actor Components spawn at origin

Hello,
I have a bug which is preventing my team from upgrading to 4.12. (We are still on 4.10 because 4.11 had a different bug, but that particular one seems to be fixed in 4.12 - https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/417397/dof-broken-in-4112-when-fullscreenmode-0.html)

The issue is that any Static Mesh Components on an Actor spawned in a Child Actor Component appear at (0,0,0).

Steps to reproduce:

1. New project
  2. New Actor (we’ll call it Inner)
  3. Add a Static Mesh Component to Inner and enable physics, set it to use any mesh you like
  4. New Actor (Outer)
  5. Add a Child Actor Component to Outer and set the child actor class to Inner
  6. In level blueprint Begin Play, spawn an Outer after a Delay (this Delay is important too) at somewhere other than origin.

If this is done correctly, the physics enabled static mesh will spawn at (0,0,0) even though any other components (like particle effects) will spawn at the correct location. This problem doesn’t occur if physics is not enabled.

Hi Acren,

Thank you for the report. I was easily able to reproduce this issue and I’ve created JIRA UE-31612. Our developers will be investigating further and we will post here with updates as we have them.

As a workaround, you can keep the physics of ‘Inner’ disabled and then enable it inside of the ‘Inner’ Event Graph with a slight delay of 0.1 seconds on Begin Play. I hope that helps for the time being.

Cheers,

TJ

Unfortunately when I tried that it caused some strange physics behavior, namely the mesh gaining a lot of velocity in some direction.

What I ended up doing was manually setting the transform of the mesh inside the Begin Play of the ‘Outer’ actor.

Can we have the state of JIRA UE-31612? I have that same problem occurring from time to time in 4.13.

I had this same problem in c++. I was able to attach it to the root component and it fixed things.

This was on the public tracker but there was apparently an error keeping if from showing. It’s now been fixed and you can see the status here.

It was fixed in 4.12. I have retested it in the live version of 4.13.1 using the steps provided on that JIRA and it’s still working properly for me.

You maybe seeing a similar but different error. Please feel free to post repro steps or a test project and I’ll be happy to investigate further.