Original mesh is rendered black after applying a rotation displacement based on a distance field gradient

I’m currently trying to displace an object based on the distance field gradient which represents the direction from the nearest object. The “Affect Distance Field Ligtning” option is disabled for the mesh that uses the material to prevent self-shadowing.

As soon as the object is displaced, the original mesh is rendered black and the displaced part with some opacity although the material does not use opacity at all, as shown in the recording:

I’m using the following material:

Material: Surface, Masked, Default Lit:

Does anyone know why this happens?

If I use manual inputs to the “RotateAboutAxis” node, the issue is not present and the object rotates fine.

1 Like

Distance fields appear to be broken when used with WPO. I think another user already filed a bug report.

For future reference, this issue was also recently discussed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/ug73i9/wpo_problem_when_using_nearest_to_surface_node/ and it seems that something is definitly broken when using WPO and distance fields.

I have tested this in the most recent release and Opacity and WPO distance field materials appear to be fixed, as indicated by the changelog.

1 Like

Yes indeed! It looks much better now. Seems like it was fixed in 5.0.2