Open world demo very slow to load

My tip is open this is to load each asset in to a blank map one at a time.

Also anyone having issue that both maps don’t have working ground collision? I checked and they are set to block all but my 3rd person charator falls throw the over view box and the ground in the other map only stopping on the rocks >_> - I’m new to UE4 so maybe something simple I’ve missed.

I can’t say that I agree with this. To be fair to the engine, you’re running below recommended specs… you need at least 8gb of RAM, not too mention that you’re using a laptop. If you think of the Kite demo as the modern day Crysis… only the high end computers are going to be able to run it at decent settings and framerates.

edit: I should mention that if you think this is bad, over my “weekend” I started a WM build process. 11.5gb of RAM used, and 67gb of page disk used. So the map took ~ 80gb of memory

Hi,
My first Load of the demo was of 30 minutes.

Win 10 BUILD 10049
i5 3330
GeForce GT 630 (1 GB)
RAM 8 GB

*First i was testing some assets in my level, now i can load the demo map and the showcase map quickly. (@EliteLurker , you’re right :smiley: )

ba4dd6b08dd7baa2b0e902997136f1a05c0f3ca8.jpeg

cheers.

Try to enable “use complex collision as simple” in the object editor under "static mesh settings/collision complexity.

You will just need more i7s and RAM… Try using something like this:

41 Processors will handle this easy :slight_smile:

You are right. The kite demo stuff is propably just too heavy for a laptop.
I was a bit shocked because so far I could run any UE4 content without any hickups on this and use it regularly for development.

lmfao this made my day , thank you for that

Also, I kind of agree with the aspect that any engine can run something like this with a super computer so what is it really showcasing? that a titan z and unreal can handle an openw orld enviroment? cool. Most indie developers can’t rock a titan z with 32 gb ram and 23 I7 processors.

it is slow, I have already started to compress the texture sizes down to 4K to make the assets more useable for my PC, Neat Assets though I cant wait for the Hole open World demo. I really want to have a poke around to see what they have . the landscape demo they have at the moment really is any good

If you give it some time, it should uncompress the textures and compile shaders. It takes a while, but its worth it, even if just from a technical stand point to see how they created the assets. It’s not as much as an issue for an actual packaged game, since the shaders will already be compiled. You’ll still need to work within your VRAM budget, but so far, after the initial load, the assets are fine.

I don’t have anything close to a super computer - I don’t even have an i7!

I think this was more about showing the improvements of the engine. Like real time GI for heightfield, DFAO etc. not to necessary mean this was something other engines can’t do. (Though even if you had a super computer, Cryengine can’t do it, Unity3D can’t do it, due to the engine limits. And those are the top 2 competitors so…)

Not too mention that a supercomputer would suck big time for game development. You would do better with a mid-range consumer PC. Even if you got a super computer powered by 1,000 Tesla cards, it would suck, bad. The way super-computers / servers are designed are for information and computational processing, not graphics processing. The architecture is, not completely different, but different enough to where your wife would be kicking you out of the house for purchasing a multi-million dollar computer if you could have gotten away with a 750 dollar computer.

PS: Super-computers, if you’re lucky… will give you 1 video output. A VGA output at that. Most of the time they don’t use that and instead rely on using some form of remote login to use. This way the computer doesn’t have to spend its resources processing graphics.

PS-S: I’d like to see how well a D-Wave computer would handle a graphically intensive game, just for snowballs and giggles.

v=DyhcFk8MnoE

There’s nothing unusable about these assets, they’re just relatively high-end. You’re on a low-spec machine.

hi try this if you have problems whit kite demo not loading or for low spec pc laps. https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?65663-Open-World-Demo-quot-Kite-Demo-quot-for-low-Spec-Pc-Download

While I was having issues getting the demo levels to load at first, I tried loading most of the assets individually on a blank map and everything was much smoother.
i5-4567k @3.5GHz
GTX 760
8GB RAM
Windows 7

Relatively is a bit of an understatement, one of the trees has 50k triangles in its base LOD :stuck_out_tongue:

Guys, which part of it is only slow to load, because it build Derived Data Cache, is hard to understrand ?

Once it load it works super fast.

And second thing, for development you always need more powerful machine, than for playing.

Hi Folks,
I stripped back all the textures to 512x512 and it all works fine.
Cant load any of the maps (4GB of memory. lol)

Only assets that I couldn’t get to load were the trees which is a major disappointment as I wanted to see how they had set them up.

Apart from the trees the textures are amazing and the DX11 tessellation on some materials is very impressive.

I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone with 4GB of memory unless you have the time to go through and resize all the textures. Keep in mind
that some textures need to be reimported with the correct file format as some have alpha channel.

Crashed in my PC as well. :’( Have i7 3770 , GTX 980 and 8 gb DDR3 1600 MHz RAM.
Can’t even add RAM now that DDR4 is out and i7 6th gen is coming. Have to wait till the end of the year to have my own personal SUPERCOMPUTER. :smiley:

If it crashes while opening the map, just restart the editor and open the map again. It will continue from where it crashed. Eventually you will have the map loaded! (on my PC it crashed once, opened again, waited 20 minutes and it was ).