Ongoing C++ Gameplay Example Series: Making a Survival Game

This is great! Thank you so much.

Congrats mate!
Iā€™m really looking forward to this. I think I came in touch with most of the topics by now but I always keep an eye open for best-practices and advises by more experienced unreal users.
Thumbs Up

news, IĀ“m very interested in this C++ Gameplay Examples Series. Congratulations ! :slight_smile:

Wow! Did you work on Killzone ShadowFall? :o

Also where can we download the example series?

Thank you for what you have done.

It will be available on GitHub during the development of the series (link in OP), afterwards they should appear on the Learn-tab of the launcher! :slight_smile:

Watching the repo already =)

Forked yesterday :wink:

watching thisā€¦

What is the first date of this project?
congratulations !

The first module is anticipated in 2 weeks from announcement, but expect constant code releases on GitHub constantly before that time.

very good for a newcomer like me

Will survival games have less worth now? I mean if I was to create a survival project with hopes that it will sell well, people now will just be like, ā€œHey you just altered the survival game code from that one thread on the unreal forums to make your gameā€¦ thats easy! Why would I pay for that!ā€

So as more of this ā€˜community code baseā€™ becomes available, what will keep future marketable? Is it part of the reason UE4 became free? Games will start to lose their value as they become easier to make [programming wise] ?
Will it then be mostly about the visual art with a few extra mechanics thrown in?

Anyways this is a really amazing contribution and Iā€™m really looking forward to it!

Sorry iā€™m a new user of Unreal Forum.
What is the module of this project? video on youtube? lessons step by step?images?
First module will begin about 3 April , right?
Do you will announce the next module thanks to your newsletter ? ('s newsletter)

Thanks you

Fantastic news. Iā€™m looking forward for this!
Justā€¦ Epic! :slight_smile:

I can only cover so much in just 6 modules, so we will end up with a very small game with a mini objective, with certain features that are often found in these type of games. Making this into a full featured survival game will still cost you a LOT of personal investment in time, skill and effort. (For example there wonā€™t be a full building system, or a fully featured inventory as you would find in many of these games)

The series is focused on teaching C++ and how itā€™s used for Unreal Engine 4, the game and available source code is an added benefit in case you are working on a similar game for sure!

So you could think of it more like the existing sample games currently available (ShooterGame, Platformer example, Swing Ninja)

I hope that clears some things up! :slight_smile:

Just noticed youā€™re doing Multiplayer / networking tooā€¦ I am very aroused!

Gonna be like Christmas up in !

Yes! I feel that replication is usually a very intimidating and I well remember the struggles when I started doing replication in UDK.

Well I kinda of agree with @CyberDev and same with @ , when I started to make my ResidentEvil2 version on UDK, I based a lot on UnrealScript code for Weapon, InvenManager, Inventory classes

and came to me that people would think that way also (big deal you just got UT source and moded it!)

but in the end I needed to change so much stuff, that it turned an almost new code, so I think is a GREAT Epic moves on help everyone, to do all kind of gameplay.

I got UTSource on github these days and saw it is very like UT UnrealScript, only took away InvManager (or I did not find it =D), which makes sense on do it on ACharacter directly.

So I think, even doing I game of RE style , in the end our game will need lot more coding.

Anyway thumbs UP again for EpicGames (Y)

Thank you, . There are so many blueprint tutorials, but only few C++ ones. You do a great job.

Hey , Congrats.

Itā€™ll be amazing. Looking forward to it.

Cheers.