Ongoing C++ Gameplay Example Series: Making a Survival Game

Really news. Congratz
Looking forward to this!

You Sir, are a beast. Very much looking forward to these. might even have to work out GitHub to follow along with progress.

Thanks

Canā€™t wait, this sounds fantastic!

Small teaser on what I did earlier today:

http://wwwā€¦com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/survival_bombs_01.gif

The first commit will happen very soon, got a few basic features up and running just making sure the first submit isnā€™t a messy (or empty) one!

That looks !

SO EXCITED!!!

I can see a lot of interesting stuff in that gif, very well, waiting for it :slight_smile:

Much love Mr and Epic :slight_smile:
This is going to be very intresting.

Cheers!

Will there be a vehicle inside the scene? And since this is going to be multiplayer sample, multiplayer vehicle? Only one will do just fine.

Great work , congrats!! Iā€™ll be following your progress! :smiley:

Current plans: No.

Iā€™m not going for a direct DayZ clone - youā€™ll see a slightly different take on survival games instead while maintaining a large set of reusable features and trying to focus on a wide range of (C++) gameplay concepts.

Although I would love to create something with vehicles at some pointā€¦!

A first video teaser on whatā€™s being worked on at the moment:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xpvELoFzVjc

Character animation is

Hi Thanks For your Share.I Now Develop A Third Person Shooter Themplate and I Watch This Tutorial.Please Add Aim System (Weapon LookAt To Crosshair) To Tutorial.

It looks . I was checking github repository everyday and waiting for this. I have a question about the project and would be very happy if you explain the differences on your tutorial too. For example for bomb actor: it could be created easily in blueprint and would have take less time, what are the advantages of creating core functionality and framework code in C++? (Performance, More Control or extra Network Features?)

In my very basic survival game created in %100 blueprint, i hit the wall because i canā€™t create objects inherited from UObject class on runtime.(Because spawn only creates actors.) Now iā€™m not exactly sure if i have port only that part to c++ or whole basic functionality. Making most things in blueprint takes less time and it would be really good if you say the reasons of what we should do in blueprint and others in C++.

BTW, congrats with you new job :smiley:

Hey , are you using the Animation Starter Pack for character?
https://www.unrealengine.com/content/88f875a30cfe4d5e906aef04138fbbfc

Yes, this bomb could have been done entirely in Blueprint - personally there is not a huge difference if I do something in C++ or Blueprint in terms of getting it to work, although I find itā€™s great to experiment using BP (For example Iā€™m trying to add PhysicsContraint and finding out how to use it by experimenting in BP which is much faster than doing so w/ C++) and tweaking values in BP is simply the quickest of the two as well.

I like to build my framework in C++ as I find it easier to maintain the complexity with plain code vs. Blueprint. If every has a base layer in C++ I know I can always communicate with it from another C++ (and BP) class, if youā€™re working solely in BP with the Bomb for example, I donā€™t have any handles available in my code.

Another thing I tend to do is use C++ to bake certain features into my game. I experiment and/or tweak using BP and then move these values over to the base class to bake it in, if a new class would extend from this - all values are already available.

Yes this is using the animations from Epicā€™s free marketplace pack.

Thumbs up for the video. This tutorial is a great news for someone like me who has just started to play around with UE4 engine. Many thanks, Iā€™ll be glued to this series.

Thanks for the answer. As i read the api, i realize iā€™ll hit more walls because most of the api isnā€™t exposed to blueprint. I think these tutorials will help me a lot to use c++ api to back my blueprints.

And just an idea, it would be if you explain the apiā€™s most important classes as an extra. Because as a newcomer from blueprint, itā€™s a little bit hard to find my way on api for some functions. Of course iā€™m not talking about classes like game mode, game instance, pawn, actor or character. But while using ā€œSpawn Actorā€ in blueprint easily, i found that function is on UWorld class, and there are lots of functions i can use too in there. Iā€™m sure there are more classes like this, classes those itā€™s better if i know itā€™s there.

Bit of a tease of what Iā€™m working on. All current features now work in multiplayer too. Announcement on all features in Section 1 is very close!

While a night scene has no associated features in section 1 (this is planned for later sections and will be gameplay relevant) I decided to make a quick dip it in regardless to see how I could make this work with gameplay later down the road.

257c28e45047a646f3599750cabf7caee5ac324a.jpeg

hurry up :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: