Some of you may know me from my earlier work or these forums. Starting today, I am part of the Epic Games family as Engine Content Creator! I will be creating a small **third-person survival game series in C++ **as my first community project. Here are the details:
The series will be split up in 6 sections, released individually every 2 weeks. You can follow along with the source code through a public repository on Github.
You’ll learn about the game framework, how to deal with physics, materials, ray-casting, casting, replication, and many more concepts that have been covered in Blueprint countless times, but this time it will all be done in C++! Blueprint is still part of the series however! You will learn how to combine C++ and BP in your project and how to expose your code to be extended by Blueprint.
The game will be a third-person survival game focusing on familiar mechanics from games in this genre. This includes weapons, hunger/thirst and movable traps / barriers to build your defences. The series will cover networking, so at the end of the series you and a friend can hop on the game together and hunt down some zombies! More details on the project will come with each released section!
Each section will be announced on the forums through a new thread, you are free to ask questions every time a new section is released.
*Here are the links to each section
Section 1 - This section sets up the third person character movement with animation, object interaction, simple hunger system, all with networking support.
- Adds weapon support for the character, a flashlight, UT-style inventory with on-character visual representation of the carried items and deals with damage, death and respawns for players.
- Introduces AI with PawnSensing and Behavior Trees.
- Introduces a gameloop with enemies, items, scoring and a time of day.
- Discusses a few practical examples on networking the game. Adds support to move around objects in the world
- In the sixth and for now final section of the series we’ll apply a coat of polish to the game, including improved AI behavior, zombie sound FX and bug fixes.
If you have questions and/or feedback, let me know in this thread! Hope you guys are as excited about this series as I am!