Official Leap Motion Plugin!

Just checked it out. Works a treat. Anyone already has it integrated with VR First Person template?

with HMD mode enabled if i turn left right my head the hand move with the hmd.

Is there any way to give inputs in BluePrint as GESTURES like Circle, Pintch Yaw, Roll …etc

Any possibilities to pick the Cubes using that HAND in official LeapExampleDemo.

If the Leap is mounted to the HMD, it can’t tell whether the controller is what is moving or whether the hands are what is moving when you turn your head. Is that what you mean?

Pitch, Yaw, and Roll you can get from the palm bone.

Pinch and grab, are values between 0 and 1. You can do some Blueprint scripting to make something happen when theses values cross a threshold.

Formal Leap API gestures (Circle, Swipe, screen tap, and key tap) aren’t currently exposed to blueprints. You would have to use C++ to access them.

There’s probably many ways to do it, but it can be tricky to do well. You can use pinch or grab strength to trigger a grab if you also have an overlap on a cube. Or you could do a trace to find the closest cube, etc. If you have collisions on, though, you tend to knock the cubes away at the same time that you are trying to grab them.

This is a nice addition to UE4!

• When can we expect Linux support?
  • Does this support the video passthrough for AR/VR transitions and, if possibble, combining those?

For your first question, I don’t know. Probably not anytime soon.

For the second, the answer is sort of. The plugin supports full access to the Leap Motion API in C++, including getting images. However, there is nothing in the plugin yet which makes these images easy to use in a scene. You would have to decode the images, and display them in the scene, probably on a textured quad, and make your own shaders to integrate them properly into a VR or AR environment.

Hey jo3w4rd,

I was wondering if there was a set up you can share in terms of incorporating the leap motion component into a first person blueprint.

As it is now, it behaves oddly. I’ve added the component to the blueprint, as well as just plopped it into the scene. But the hands stay in one spot, Or they move in the opposite direction as I rotate my head left + right.

The Demo pack in the Leap Motion examples gallery has a 1st-person scene: Unreal 4.7 Demo Pack | Leap Motion Developers

Thanks jo3! Appreciate the quick answer. <3

There’s something else i’m trying to figure out.

I’ve attached the LeapMotion Controller component to my character blueprint. I want my hands to follow my body as I move around the space. However, I want the hands to actually follow the position of the HMD. I’ve created a space that you can navigate by standing and physically walking around. But my leap motion hands stay stuck to the character, and don’t follow the HMD!

Damnit, that’s tough to explain. Any thoughts?

it seems Epic Games doesn´t have the code public, or am i wrong?

I keep seeing this thread, misreading the title as "Official Magic Leap Plugin!
Getting really excited then sad again, but hopeful for one day when it will be a thread title.

To correct position of LM in first person template for VR I am doing something like that:

So, i am getting LM position first, mostly for convinience of tweaking it in event graph, and I also need to make sure that LM is nested to camera.

BUT, I am not sure is it the recommended practice, performance wise, etc. If anyone have better solution for this, please share.

malcriado,

you need to have a github account that is associated with your epic account: in your epic account details you need yo add your github user name. Then you will be invited to join epics network on github and be able to download their UE source code. Other details here: Downloading Unreal Engine Source Code | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

I’ve found that LeapMotion doesn’t work very well with UE4 compared to Unity. There are some performance issues (probably related to the plugin) which need to be resolved.

I’ve got it working in a somewhat decent state using UE4 though. Here are the tweaks I had to make:

-Turn OFF the “Robust Mode”. It tries to automatically account for bright lighting conditions and it goes too far and can’t see anything. Hence, hands don’t appear very well and they seem to jump around.
-Cover your windows, keep out the sunlight
-Make sure you’re using the fastest USB ports. Avoid the front panel USB ports since they usually go through an internal USB hub. USB 2.0 is a minimum, go for 3.0 if you can.
-Turn off the image capture setting (its good for finding sources of IR light though)
-Run the diagnostics and make sure everything is green
-Make sure its oriented correctly (ie, not upside down).
-It can get hot, and that can cause malfunctions with the USB device drivers. You’ll have to unplug and replug in the device.
-Test your performance in a very limited scene to rule out rendering and CPU bottlenecks

Using Leap with the VR First Person Template

Yes, I got it working pretty good using the VR First Person Template (GitHub - mitchemmc/UE4FirstPersonVRTemplate: A first person template for unreal engine 4 focused on VR and use with the Oculus Rift)

Here are my notes:

1. Under Blueprints : VRGameMode: Change player to “MyCharacterExplorationHeadBob”
  2. Add “LeapMotionController” Component Under the character Mesh, Same level as the FirstPersonCamera.
  3. Position the “LeapMotionController” Just in front of the characters chest. Like you had it mounted to his imaginary keyboard
  4. Select “Is in Hmd Mode” and “Show Arm” under the LeapMotionController Details panel

The only issue, seems that my arms go down as I look up…

Is the official Leap motion plugin available for Mac in current 4.8 preview? Is it already in 4.8 github version?

Would this plugin work with Android the new GearVR? (where the new GearVR has a USB port). It sounds like there is an Android SDK for Leap Motion: I would love to try this on my Gear VR with Galaxy Note4 - Customer Support - Leap Motion (Ultraleap) Community Forums but is it included already in the UE4 plugin??

When will it come with the launcher version ?

Ok, now I’m really confused. What plugin should I use? **Which one has the fewest bugs right know and works with the launcher version? **As I read this, the official plugins seems basically not really useable?

Which one is the most reliable and works with Blueprint-driven characters?

Many thanks.