Oculus Quest 2 APK Crashing / Not opening after build.

I’m going to keep this as brief as possible in the hopes that someone can answer my question. Any other posts that discuss the same issue I’m having were either not responded to, or involve some special project / implementation that does not apply to me.

The issue:

Fresh install of UE 5.3.2. All Meta XR dependencies are met. OpenXR runtime is installed and set to oculus. Android studio Flamingo may build is installed with the relevant SDKs (android 12) and build tools of the correct API level (32), and command line tools / cmake, EVERYTHING in the documentation. Basically all 5.3 documentation dependencies and instructions have been followed. JDK 17 is installed as well. Correct Java/NDK/SDK paths are set, and the versions are set to android-32 and android-29 for SDK/NDK respectively.

I created the default openXR vr template project. Configured the settings as per documentation, included metaXR plugin and all that. Ensured that all relevant openXR plugins were enabled as well.

Upon building, unreal compiles all the assets, builds an .APK with gradle successfully, and connects to the headset via ADB to install the .APK. It does this successfully, and reports to me that the build and installation were successful, I am told the program is running.

After putting on my headset I get one of two things- either a frozen black screen where I can see my passthrough boundary, or a message telling me that my program is not responding. After selecting the option to wait, the program closes and I am returned to my oculus home environment / main menu. The program appears as an application on my headset. Trying to run it this way shows a 3 dot loading screen, and returns to the main menu for the headset

things I have tried to solve this:

1. I have made sure the Android NDK and SDK are installed in accordance with the 5.3 documentation. I have removed things like JAVA_HOME from my environment variables, as per documentation.

2. I have reinstalled android studio and its included packages. I have reinstalled visual studio. I have reinstalled unreal.

3. I have tried deleting the build / binary / intermediate / saved folders and rebuilding VS project files. Additionally I have done the same with the sln file.

4. I have tried multiple settings for my project. Settings related to passthrough, input, packaging (developer vs shipped), android versions, SDK. I have watched youtube videos of other people setting up a 5.3 XR project, and tried their settings. This does not work either.

5. I have attempted to use meta oculus developer hub to check for error messages upon running / building the program. This prevents me from building to the headset as it messes with the ADB connection.}

6. I have attempted to recreate the template project to no avail. I have also created my OWN vr project from scratch in a blank project- using the “getting started with XR” documentation as a guide.

7. I’ve used the meta XR plugin’s quick-setup option to ensure settings are set properly. I have ensured that the quest 2 is enabled as a device the apk can build to.

I guarantee you that there are more things I have tried, that I am not remembering. I will let anyone know if their suggestion is something I’ve tried already.

Additionally, I have had success building the template file to a quest pro headset on a separate workstation. I’m not sure if the issue lies with my PC, or the quest 2 headset. I am leaning towards the latter since this issue seems common with others on the quest 2.

I have spent hours- no- DAYS trying to get this to work. If anyone has any idea on how I can solve this, please let me know.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Having the same issue with a Quest 3.

Not marking this as a solution, but downgrading to UE 5.2 seems to have solved the issue for me. Im not sure what the cause is because I’ve been able to get this to work on the latest version of 5.3 on OTHER computers…

Same here, also on quest 3. Build completes fine, after opening it crashes. Also tried most of the possible solutions that @SushipopTrue mentioned

Also Check the Logs with Meta Hub and Filter with UE.