Ocean not blending correctly with bg.

I am getting a hard edge where the main ocean meets the bg ocean. It appears as if the materials are different for each. Has anyone had this issue or know how to fix? Thanks!

Also getting this issue. Have spent a fair bit of time trying to work around it and nothing seems to work.

Heya, @RayTink @paultrott

This is correct and normal, just needs adjusting to be viewed correctly from a players perspective.
The ocean outside the waterzone (the dark red wireframe box)
is used for saving on wave calculations and giving the ocean distance visuals to the horizon.

The ocean inside the waterzone is playable area ocean, with swimming and foamy wave effects.

The outer ocean is slightly below the level of the inner ocean, so when the waves from the inner ocean go up and down, they don’t go below the outer ocean level and show the void.

To use correctly, inner ocean should be a bit bigger than playable area.
When at eye level from all different points on the map check the ocean and see if the outer and inner oceans visually blend together.
If you can see the edge and it looks a bit dodgy, make the edge further away until it looks right by increasing the size of the waterzone, ocean extents and ocean collision extents until it looks right.
As a basis Waterzone and Ocean Extents are good to make thier X & Y’s the same value, but for Collision Extents use half that value for its X & Y size

1 Like

Hi @Hardcawcanary,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

It seems to me that the problem is something to do with a discrepancy with the material on the inner and outer meshes. The inner one seems more reflective to me which is giving it that obvious hard edge. Attached an image showing where they meet at the corner with no displacement. Apart from the foam on the inner mesh I don’t see why the 2 materials wouldn’t look identical here.

I know it won’t always look perfect from all angles etc but this seems to be quite extreme. Also when looking at videos on youtube of people working with the ocean I don’t notice the same obvious line I’m getting when they open up a template island, making me think it’s a bug due to an update. Also I’m sure I wasn’t getting this issue a month or so ago. I could be going crazy :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey yeah, now that you mention it, loaded up an island and I swear I had made it big enough to blend the two oceans together at one stage, now the edge is apparent…
I’m glad you clarified, I see what you mean.

Now that I’m remembering it better the distance issue was noticable because of the white foam cut off point, now it’s the edge at the waterzone being more apparent.

1 Like

Ah thanks for checking it out and confirming. I’ll report it as a bug and see what happens.

1 Like

YAY! seems to be fixed in one of the recent updates!

1 Like