NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Is tearable cloth working in the latest nvidia flex branch? I really need for an upcoming project.

Hey guys I havenā€™t posted in a while and havenā€™t been staying up with the thread too much so Iā€™m not sure if has been has been noticed. In 4.8 there is an option for surface per-pixel rendering on translucent materials, which requires forward lighting to be enabled. Forward lighting crashes VXGI instantly. The new shading model looks fantastic and I would love to use it, but VXGI is not currently compatible it seems. Disabling VXGI voxelation on the material does not help.

hello guys! i saw example about screen space reflection + vxgi spec tracing combination and i didnā€™t get how did you guys do that. Can i get litttle bit of information about that?

Its so difficult to find things back in thread.

https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?53735-NVIDIA-GameWorks-Integration&p=317027&viewfull=1#post317027

You need to change ScreenSpaceReflections.cpp, ReflectionEnvironmentShaders.usf, recompile and you have VXGI spec tracing and SSR combined.

In ScreenSpaceReflections.cpp

bool DoScreenSpaceReflections(const FViewInfo& View)

comment out the VXGI block disabling SSR. Its on the beginning of that function. In ReflectionEnvironmentShaders.usf you just change the order as in Mr Scheideckerā€™s post so things mix up right.

I wonder what type of candy weā€™ll find in the new VXGI-dev official branch from Nvidiaā€¦ downloading nowā€¦

VXGI-dev is currently just a staging branch that will be merged into VXGI branch soon. Itā€™s not really a dev or next beta version.

Release notes, which you can also find in Readme.md:

UE 4.8.2 + VXGI 0.9 CL 19731094

1. Upgrade to UE 4.8.2
  2. HBAO+ integrated, disabled by default.
  3. Voxelization parameters, such as map size or emittance storage format, are now controlled with cvars and can be modified at run time. Note that changing these parameters means that VXGI will re-create all its textures, so it shouldnā€™t be done frequently. The new cvars are:
  • r.VXGI.MapSize

• r.VXGI.StackLevels

• r.VXGI.Opacity6D

• r.VXGI.Emittance6D

• r.VXGI.NvidiaExtensionsEnable

• r.VXGI.StoreEmittanceInHdrFormat

• r.VXGI.EmittanceStorageScale

• r.VXGI.EmittanceInterpolationEnable

• r.VXGI.HighQualityEmittanceDownsamplingEnable

1. Added support for diffuse environment map lighting, and tints for diffuse and specular environment maps.
  2. Exposed more specular tracing filters, including temporal filter, in Post-process Volume parameters.
  3. Fixed a bug that made the banding artifacts in specular tracing results worse.
  4. Added an observation mechanism to control that indirect irradiance doesnā€™t blow up, enabled by r.VXGI.MultiBounceNormalizationEnable (on by default). When it detects a blow-up, it reduces the internally used value of irradiance scale until the user changes setting.
  5. Made the engine render shadow maps when a light is using distance field shadow and also casts VXGI indirect lighting.
  6. Improved performance of the ambient occlusion mode.
  7. Added VXGI world-space and screen-space processing times to ā€œstat unitā€ output (labeled as VXGI WS and VXGI SS, respectively).
  8. Fixed the with VXGI specular disappearing when a reflection probe is added to the scene.
  9. VXGI specular can now be combined with SSR, controlled by cvar r.VXGI.CombineSpecularWithSSR.
  10. VXGI specular is now combined with sky light reflections.
  11. Sky lights now affect VXGI voxelization when multi-bounce GI is enabled.
  12. Added support for adaptive sampling of materials during voxelization, which is useful to make voxelization results of meshes with high-frequency masked emissive components stable.

Hello, Iā€™m testing out vxgi in a test scene. When the directional light casts light on the ground and tables, Iā€™m getting a decent amount of GI in the scene, but when it lands on the far right wall, the GI contribution is hardly noticeableā€¦

Is there a distance somewhere that I can increase the GI trace distance?
Also, How can I check to make sure Iā€™m using multi-bounce GI? Iā€™ve followed the instructions from 's earlier post but Iā€™m not seeing any difference.
Iā€™m using 's latest build.

Thanks !

Can you attach a screenshot for the emittance voxel visualization for the wall case? Set r.VXGI.DebugMode = 3 to see it.
One thing that comes to mind is that you may have set the ā€œUse with VXGI voxelizationā€ parameter unchecked on your wall material.

Multi-bounce GI is enabled from BaseEngine.ini and by r.VXGI.MultiBounceEnable in that older version. You may also need to set bVxgiStoreEmittanceInHdrFormat=true in BaseEngine.ini because the multibounce contribution is usually quite small, and it can be rounded to 0 unless HDR textures are used to store emittance voxels. In the new version (currently in VXGI-dev branch), everything is controlled by console variables.

EDIT: one more guess for your. Is diffuse tracing configured to use only 1 cone? That would explain the absent GI in the wall case (the wall would not affect horizontal surfaces at all) and generally not-so-good look in the other case.

Hi there,

Iā€™m currently ā€œplayingā€ with the last Nvidia branch released, everything is gold :stuck_out_tongue:
But, does anybody know if there is a way to get the reflections working again on translucent material when the vxgispecular function is missing with the ssr?
The r.VXGI.CombineSpecularWithSSR cvar even set on 1 seems to make no difference with to kind of material

big_epic_sad_sad_face.pcx joined with message (yeaaaah a pcx file !)

@ , are those the release notes of the next VXGI update? When will it get released ? Thanks.

Hi thanks for the reply, ok turned on the debug mode and the wall didnā€™t show up at all in the visualization so flipped the normals and it works fine.
All one material and one mesh - just a test scene - will remodel the scene and try againā€¦

With models are there certain considerations that need to be made when using vxgi?
I just noticed in the debug mode most of the small details on the chairs donā€™t get voxelized. Or are there ways to over sample small details like ?

Iā€™m not that interested in frame rates - just stills for now, so have the diffuse trace cones set to 256 which is pretty much as high as my card can go without crashingā€¦

Thanks Iā€™ll try out the latest build tonight and will also test those BaseEngine.ini options.

cheers!

Itā€™s already out in the VXGI-dev branch. You can ignore the ā€œ-devā€ part, itā€™s stable.

so its time to call "THE " xD
@mikand79
Thank you!

You can get the small features to voxelize in the emittance map by enabling Vxgi Coverage Supersampling in material properties (just for those objects - itā€™s really slow). But probably you wonā€™t see a difference in the end result.

Regarding models, I think the most important thing is that in order to avoid light leaking, you should make walls and other large opaque objects really thick. Small geometry usually looks good enough.

Thanks Robert.

Hi , do you have an eta on the next Flex update? I look forward to being able to add a Flex surface emitter to a blueprint.

Hi . May I add to 47ā€™s question by enquiring about the state of Hairworks? Thanks!

Is there a way to have the HBAO only show up in indirectly lit areas? thanks :slight_smile:

hey guys is there a way to start the kite demo in Galaxy Branch?
://prntscr/7tir5e
pressed yes
://prntscr/7tirsq

Next week, if all goes well with out testing.