NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

What is the timeline for your project, the drop-dead date for DX Compute support?

It’s still and R&D topic on our side. Making a viable product is much more time consuming than publishing pure research.

Work-in-Progress: VXGI Multi-bounce!

Note that the image below is not from UE4, it’s from our VXGI sample application.

From one of the VXGI developers:
“These images are rendered with the latest version of VXGI, which supports multiple indirect bounces (right column) and with single bounce for comparison (left column). One spot light, no ambient, no light maps, no SSAO.
While multibounce support was primarily added to improve diffuse and specular lighting, it plays really well with refractions too. While we already have support for multibounce in UE, there are no such refractive materials there yet…so it’s not quite ready for release yet.”

8200a5673a886d566e265969ba47158443102801.jpeg

Looking very nice, looking forward to integration, will be interesting to compare my game with single bounce and multi bounce

Thank you Sir, though I had found out that I am to blame .
I had overlooked that curves have to be linear.
Instead I am hitting now another error-message.

Thank you for the update. I have access and will take a look.

Yes, it’s a new version 1.1. Please sign up for an account at ://devsupport.nvidia (a less formal repository for releases than the GameWorks web site) by clicking on the button labeled ‘Create a New Account’, and send me a private message on forum telling me the email address you used for the account.

OMG that looks ! Even better than expected1 :smiley:

I was thinking translucency might benefit from the tech as well. Nice to see you alreading have something in that direction running.

Nice job!

Wow. I didn’t see that coming xD Any news on Hairworks and Faceworks?

I think pushing out the first pass would be overall beneficial. It would get the community learning the shaders and giving feedback. A few artifacts won’t be prohibitive to testing the waters (pun intended).

The Faceworks integration has been seriously stalled by competing priorities. On Hairworks I get to sound like a broken record…“very soon…within 2 weeks…”. For Hairworks we are having an internal debate about whether we need to make certain changes before pushing a first release out the door, or whether we can release it without the changes. The risk is that if we don’t do these changes, it’s possible that after we do you would have to import and tune your assets again, because we might not be able to guarantee forwards compatibility of the code paths. What do you think?

I think as long as its documented that the release is experimental and is subject to change that will potentially break previous assets, then I don’t have a problem with it being released earlier.

Oh im fine with that. If you mean tuning my asset “again” just like hairviewer yeah im absolutely fine with that.
edit
right now im having really bad time placing alpha planes all over my character head and texturing them one by one haha.

I would very much like to have it sooner than later. I am looking very much forward to playing with water.

Wow, that looks really great!

I got rid of it by setting transform and rotation to zero (freeze transform). (another prerequisite found :slight_smile: )
Flawless export but I am now back to the old error.

As it looks like the HairDescriptor has changed, I can´t test with the 1.1-viewer.

However, somehow my FlightControler wants to play with the new viewer too and rotates arround all the time.
Interesting that the axes are changed by the same number.

Are you gonna release sample in UE when its ready?

Is it a priority to move the gameworks branches to 4.8 when its released or do you think that they will lag behind on 4.7.4 for some time?

Just in case you haven’t looked. uploaded the v1.1 of the plugins for 3dsmax and Maya to the same place. 64-bit only at time.

New viewer and plugins work well. Heres a quick test I did:

Now just waiting on integration to test in engine.

Can I somehow speed up shader compiling becouse is taking too long.

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought all downloads are displayed. Going to the hairworks-section revealed the plugins.

Cheers.