NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Not that relevant but if you need to get a boat working, you might be interested to check out my branch of the OceanProject (post link), I recently added some ship examples :slight_smile:

If you are unaware, the project uses gerstner waves (not necessarily as good as WaveWorks FFT but itā€™s fine :p)

Hey ! I havenā€™t checked thread for a while but let me thank you for the work you guys are doing :slight_smile: stuff.
Canā€™t wait to get my hands on that fluid shader btw!

About WaveWorksā€¦ is it possible for some of your programmer to perhaps give us some example code on how to get the height data (so we can calculate buoyancy)? or is not implemented at all? :stuck_out_tongue:
It would be if we can add WaveWorks in our OceanProject.

Hey did you guys find a fix for the VXGI error ā€œAssertion failed: CascadeIndex < ARRAY_COUNT(CascadedShadowDepthZ)ā€? Iā€™m starting to get it again and have no idea why.

That link has no active. Can you give me a new link? thanks!

Just a question from a hobbyistā€¦
What is the requirement for a curve to be successfully exported for hairworks?
I made a sphere, a curve and snapped its cv on a vertex as a quick test. Didnā€™t work out.
All I got from the FurViewer was ā€œerror importing fileā€.

The tutorial video states that shave&haircut fullfills the requirements, but doesn`t state what they are nor does the documentation.

Ah.

I guess my big concern is, if I go ahead using Flex, I may never have a DirectCompute when i complete the project or it may change things. Looks like I will have to take a different approach.

Well, since I havenā€™t gotten to try VXGI on a ā€œcomplete gameā€, I tried opening Epicā€™s ShooterGame with VXGI. I created a brand-new ShooterGame Project, didnā€™t change the name of it, and opened it for the first time using VXGI 4.7.4. It initialized, compiled, loaded, etc. However the editor never popped up, and about 2 minutes after it appeared to finish loading I got a very familiar error.

MachineId:9E462D794467F91AAD0412A12EFD163A

Unknown exception - code 00000001 (first/second not available)

Assertion failed: CascadeIndex < ARRAY_COUNT(CascadedShadowDepthZ) [File:c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\PostProcess//SceneRenderTargets.h] [Line: 363]

KERNELBASE + 35740 bytes
UE4Editor_Core!FOutputDeviceWindowsError::Serialize() + 292 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsplatformoutputdevices.cpp:95]
UE4Editor_Core!FOutputDevice::Logf__VA() + 248 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:144]
UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() + 1079 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:224]
UE4Editor_Renderer!FSceneRenderTargets::BeginRenderingCascadedShadowDepth() + 118 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\postprocess\scenerendertargets.cpp:884]
UE4Editor_Renderer!FDeferredShadingSceneRenderer::RenderProjectedShadows() + 3261 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\shadowrendering.cpp:3256]
UE4Editor_Renderer!FDeferredShadingSceneRenderer::RenderLights() + 4289 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\lightrendering.cpp:499]
UE4Editor_Renderer!FDeferredShadingSceneRenderer::Render() + 5934 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\deferredshadingrenderer.cpp:1694]
UE4Editor_Renderer!RenderViewFamily_RenderThread() + 944 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\scenerendering.cpp:1121]
UE4Editor_Renderer!TGraphTask<FRendererModule::BeginRenderingViewFamily'::12ā€™::EURCMacro_FDrawSceneCommand>::ExecuteTask() + 460 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\core\public\async askgraphinterfaces.h:667]
UE4Editor_Core!FTaskThread::ProcessTasks() + 3109 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async askgraph.cpp:428]
UE4Editor_Core!FTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() + 77 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async askgraph.cpp:271]
UE4Editor_RenderCore!RenderingThreadMain() + 189 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:282]
UE4Editor_RenderCore!FRenderingThread::Run() + 63 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:385]
UE4Editor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() + 102 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:73]
UE4Editor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::GuardedRun() + 93 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:26]

• 5074 bytes
    ntdll + 87108 bytes

Iā€™ve been trying to find a cause for , and so far Iā€™ve gotten a few possibilities. Please keep in mind I am NOT much of a programmer, is just based purely off what Iā€™ve observed. First off whenever it crashes on a project that SUCCESSFULLY opened, the editor freezes for, once again, about 2 minutes, and then crashes. normally in the frozen editor there is a shadow that seems close enough that if you moved slightly forward, a new cascade would appear. Essentially what Iā€™m getting out of is that the problem has something to do with adding cascades, but not subtracting them, because Iā€™ve not seen the editor crash when I was moving away from objects (as in when Iā€™m fully outside of a level and there are no shadow-casting objects behind me). With that in mind, my theory is that itā€™s possible that when you move away from objects, the editor maybe tries to remove a cascade that doesnā€™t exist. So say you move away from the objects in you scene, and at certain intervals, a shadow cascade is removed, but after the shadows disappear, it continues ā€œremovingā€ cascades, going into negative values. Then, upon approaching your scene, the second cascade would actually be the first one, the second would be the third, and so on. Eventually what will happen is it will think the 4th cascade is the 5th, try to create it, and simply fail.

Another thing Iā€™ve noticed is that I only ever recall having crashes while using unbound post process volumes. Thatā€™s most likely a coincidence, but, it also somewhat lines up with my first theory, simply because I use unbound PPVs when working with larger scenes where all of the shadow cascades would be seen.

BTW if none of makes any sense and I sincerely have no idea what Iā€™m talking about, remember, I donā€™t understand the inner workings of game engines too well.

Okay, nevermind what I said. Iā€™m very convinced I was very wrong, mainly because I just loaded up the elemental demo without any problems. Iā€™m going to work on getting it running with VXGI without baked lighting. Probably will take a while, but it will be worth it.

Hey folks,

Does anybody know if the destruction that comes with UE4 actually support real-time dynamic fracture(where cracks are generated during run-time with no pre-fracture)?
Or is there any branch that supports ?
Kind of hard to find precise info on ā€¦

Cheers :slight_smile:

I asked about yesterday. Apparently it doesnā€™t and performance was seen as a possible as it has to create new geometry at run time. I did get someway in implementing paper which describes their approach to real time fracturing, and had a version running in Unreal. In the end it didnā€™t really give me much more than the built in Apex Destruction did for my particular game. That said if you wanted super slow mo, camera close in fracturing then it did look truly incredible. The paper can be found :

Destruction dynamic fracture?

Hmmā€¦suspected as much. But surely could be a targeted at high-end hardware just like Flex itself is?

Hi ,

Do you know how to integrate APEX/NVIDIA Turbulence into UE4 ?

I donā€™t know if it is turbulence per se, but you get the same with GPU particles in UE4.

As far as I know happens if the shadow map cascades is set to higher than 3, it might also happen if you set it lower but I didnā€™t bother trying.
CSM distance hasnā€™t caused me any problems and I havenā€™t tried playing around with the other CSM settings.

How to create GPU particles that interact whit dynamic objects?

://i.ytimg/vi/qq3mYmzOelI/maxresdefault.jpg

I havenā€™t tried it myslf, but GPU particles have a collision module .unrealengine/latest/INT/Resources/ContentExamples/EffectsGallery/1_E/index.html, but I am not sure if it produces the effect you want.

any word on that water shader/ material .? its been awhile and wanted to know the status of getting that shader/ material for the water with translucency and refraction shown in the demo?

Yes, the word is that the engineer isnā€™t happy with the shadows and a few other artifacts, and is saying he needs more time. Iā€™d rather push a first pass into the repo, even if there are a few artifacts that will be fixed in the coming days, rather than delay more. What do you think?

The GPU particles offer a limited screen-space collision system.

We do have someone working on that, but I donā€™t have an ETA. So many projects in flight at the same time, itā€™s difficult to get the schedule under control. But if you are seriously interested, Iā€™ll see what I can do to speed things along.

Iā€™ll bring to the attention of the tech artists familiar with Hair. By the way, we have a new release of the stand-alone HairWorks library and viewer available, but you have to sign up for an account at ://devsupport.nvidia in order to access it. Please send me a private message to sort out the account details if you are interested. The new build should be integrated into UE4 soonā€¦I was hoping it would have been done weeks ago, but there have been many challenges with shadows, anti-aliasing, etc.