NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

We should have a fix for soon, so I hear.

What would you like to see on Twitch stream?

I guess if it was a singular or very irregular stream it would be more of a high level overview of the GameWorks features that are in the engine with some quick examples of what can be done with them.
If it was a more regular thing each one might be about a specific (VXGI/Turbulence etc.), and have more in depth information about them.
Whatā€™s going on behind the scenes?
What settings have the largest performance impact?
Optimization tips?
Perhaps tips on how to achieve a specific effect?

It might also be somewhere that answers some of those questions that get asked somewhat often, examples being if the in question works across Nvidia/AMD hardware (Iā€™ve answered a number of times on the forums for VXGI), is there a Direct Compute version in the works? Etc.

Iā€™d imagine more general information could be put up on the UE4 wiki with a link at the start of thread (or in your signature), recording short videos might also be a better idea from a man hours perspective?

Those are some pretty broad examples but I havenā€™t got to fire up anything other than VXGI so itā€™s not so easy to come up with specific examples.
When I get the VXGI build up and running Iā€™ll have a look through and see if thereā€™s any burning questions or ideas popping up.

Well, first and foremost, it would be nice that instead of a massive twitch stream, you could release ā€œ5 minute trainingā€ videos, that include basic tips on pretty much everything Xerithas said, and then a week or so afterwards, do a Twitch ā€œadvancedā€ stream to answer any specific questions from the training videos, or any live / onhand ā€œhow toā€™sā€.

I think that at level, performance and optimizations are the most important things to focus on, since because of the screenshots that I have seen with Gameworks, 9-30 fps may not be that great in any medium, let along attempting to use it with VR.

Thereā€™s a lot in the air when it comes to performance at the moment especially given 's looming release.
Baseline performance increase (how much? where are the increases and why?), will it actually help Epic get SLI/xFire going, Nvidia VR Direct?
But I donā€™t expect weā€™ll too much about that until drops.

Either way itā€™s still nice to have information about, especially things that are particularly heavy or light.

Please let me know the HairWorks roadmap for ā€œMaya 2016ā€ support etc.
Will Maya standard equipped XGen (not ā€œShave and a Haircutā€) be available for HairWorks in the future?

Just now I uploaded an updated version of SciFiHallway, along with ShaderCompileWorker binaries. My round-trip test shows that both CornellBox and SciFiHallway scenes are working for me. Please let me know if you experience problems with new or existing content.

Thank you very much. Is the new VXGI? Also are water and dirt/sand shaders ready too? Will you do the the merged branch with all features? Looking forward to that to download it.

, you sure do push arenā€™t you? :wink: He wrote often that things will be done and he will tell us all when itā€™s done.

is a new build of VXGI integrated into UE4-4.7.4. Because these are still early days for VXGI as a product, the versioning is still a bit loose. We are calling version VXGI-0.9, which indicates that we donā€™t consider it to be fully mature, 1.0-level release yet. Developments take place daily. Iā€™m afraid I donā€™t have a concise summary of what changed in build vs. the last one, but several bugs that were impacting shadows, stability, range, etc., were fixed, either in the integration or in VXGI itself. We are still working on the 2nd-bounce implementation, but what Iā€™ve seen so far looks promising. The shader compile time problem is also high on the list, as well as overall performance improvements.

Regarding FleX, the water shaders are making progress, but Iā€™ve been told we still need another week or two to roll it out. I saw a demo of it the other day, it looks promising, but there is still work to do on the shadows, translucency, etc. Iā€™ll be working on the merged branch as time permits.

ā€“

It wasnā€™t only me asking each time about progress. I am just asking wether is a new version or not since we donā€™t have any ETA of whatā€™s been added/changed so I can know whether I download and compile it or wait for more stable version. That is all ! Not pushing anything, I know and his team are working hard to do miracles. Sadly, my PC canā€™t afford to compile UE4 many times since it overheats in compiling because it needs too much ressources which would be an overkill if I download and compile each branch separately, that is why I was asking about the merged branch so I can do it once for all the gameworks. :smiley:

Wow second bounce coming too. Thank you very much. It would be worth the wait. I hope will be integarted by default in UE4 just like APEX clothing when all GameWorks are finished. :slight_smile:

Just got done testing the new VXGI build. Itā€™s pretty stable, until I go into play mode. It crashes every time. Sometimes instantly, sometimes after playing for a while (no more than 5 minutes).

Specs:
i7-4770
GTX 770 2Gb
16Gb RAM

Crash Report:

MachineId:9E462D794467F91AAD0412A12EFD163A

Unknown exception - code 00000001 (first/second not available)

Assertion failed: CascadeIndex < ARRAY_COUNT(CascadedShadowDepthZ) [File:c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\PostProcess//SceneRenderTargets.h] [Line: 363]

KERNELBASE + 35740 bytes
UE4Editor_Core!FOutputDeviceWindowsError::Serialize() + 292 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsplatformoutputdevices.cpp:95]
UE4Editor_Core!FOutputDevice::Logf__VA() + 248 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:144]
UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() + 1079 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:224]
UE4Editor_Renderer!FSceneRenderTargets::BeginRenderingCascadedShadowDepth() + 118 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\postprocess\scenerendertargets.cpp:884]
UE4Editor_Renderer!FDeferredShadingSceneRenderer::RenderProjectedShadows() + 3261 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\shadowrendering.cpp:3256]
UE4Editor_Renderer!FDeferredShadingSceneRenderer::RenderLights() + 4289 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\lightrendering.cpp:499]
UE4Editor_Renderer!FDeferredShadingSceneRenderer::Render() + 5934 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\deferredshadingrenderer.cpp:1694]
UE4Editor_Renderer!RenderViewFamily_RenderThread() + 944 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\renderer\private\scenerendering.cpp:1121]
UE4Editor_Renderer!TGraphTask<FRendererModule::BeginRenderingViewFamily'::12ā€™::EURCMacro_FDrawSceneCommand>::ExecuteTask() + 460 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\core\public\async askgraphinterfaces.h:667]
UE4Editor_Core!FTaskThread::ProcessTasks() + 3109 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async askgraph.cpp:428]
UE4Editor_Core!FTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() + 77 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\core\private\async askgraph.cpp:271]
UE4Editor_RenderCore!RenderingThreadMain() + 189 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:282]
UE4Editor_RenderCore!FRenderingThread::Run() + 63 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\rendercore\private\renderingthread.cpp:385]
UE4Editor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() + 102 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:73]
UE4Editor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::GuardedRun() + 93 bytes [c:\users\sbwor_000\documents\github\gameworksunrealengine\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsrunnablethread.cpp:26]

• 5074 bytes
    ntdll + 87108 bytes

looked similar to errors in 's build, but lowering the shadow quality didnā€™t work in instance. I didnā€™t try removing the directional light, mainly because I kind of need it :).

Edit: According to Github Iā€™ve made 46 changes to the VXGI branch. Iā€™m not much of a programmer; I havenā€™t touched the source code. I feel that is simply an small with Gihub determining who did what, but still Iā€™m starting to wonder if some of the problems weā€™re having have to do with how we get the files, since different methods could overwrite/remove files that VXGI depend on. That being said, are my EXACT steps to getting the engine running.

1. Fork the NvPhysX Branch
  2. Open Github Desktop, and clone repository from my account within Git Desktop
  3. Switch to the VXGI branch after it loads, and sync
  4. Run Setup, when asked if overwriting changes choose n, Generate Project Files
  5. Build UE4
    6?. With one of the builds ('s I think) I had to rebuild ShaderCompilerWorker

Does anyone do it in any way other than that?

Edit2: Okay, I messed around with my fork of VXGI and now itā€™s spontaneously fixed and I can no longer reproduce the error myself.

Same .

That is more or less how I do it, and I think it should work. My variation:

1. Clone the NvPhysX Branch using Git command line ā€œgit clone .gitā€
  2. From the default ā€˜releaseā€™ branch, run Setup.bat. I like to run on the release branch first, and then switch to VXGI branch so that the customizations over-write the original files.
  3. Build UE4, run a map for sanity check.
  4. Create local VXGI branch to track remote VXGI branch ā€œgit branch -t VXGI origin/VXGIā€
  5. Switch to VXGI branch ā€œgit checkout vxgiā€
  6. Build UE4; build ShaderCompilerWorker just for good measure (I do check in the updated binaries, but it doesnā€™t take long to rebuild them too)
  7. Run editor, load CornellBox project, load map; run; drink coffee while shaders compile.

You can check to see the differences between your build and the VXGI branch from the Git command line. Just do a ā€˜git statusā€™.

ā€“

Hey if possible can you mention some of the things you look for stability-wise in the VXGI builds? So far very, very few of the problems Iā€™ve personally had or seen others have are things that would show up in CornellBox or SifiHallway (Directional Light crashes, Distance Field issues, etc.). Are there any other scenes you guys use to test VXGI , and if so, what would they include?

Iā€™m afraid weā€™re a little thin on the testing front, we would welcome the community to submit example maps that turn up problems. Weā€™ve been working with a few other scenes, I think we were running Cave at one point, and some other levels. Please feel free to share whatever examples you have tried.

That explains it then. Testing new tech thoroughly isnā€™t easy, but hey, thatā€™s what weā€™re for right?

Ok, after playing with VXGI for a solid amount of time now, I can confirm I am no longer having any issues. When I run setup directly from VXGI, I do. But when I run setup from release, and THEN switch to VXGI to finish, it works. I donā€™t know why, but thatā€™s what is happening for me at least.

Need WaveWorks, FLEX And VXGI For UE 4.7.5ā€¦

Thanks for keeping all the updates coming! Any word on how the hairworks implementation is coming along?