NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

I just found these topic, i’m really impressed reading that VXGI is alreday avaiable for UE4. I’m not so much into c++, compiling etc…
Would be very interesting to know when technology is avaiable for the average user ? how bug free is VXGI and how is the performance etc… ?

I’ve been playing with VXGI for a while… Right now it’s the best real time GI option for UE4 in terms of visual quality only. is what I can say (based on my experience) about VXGI state right now:

• It is just working nice with Spot Lights
  • It has just one bounce, so you can’t get real time reflections of objects receiving only indirect light. You can’t use UE4 default reflection capture since it needs backed light, so you’ll have SSR only and it’s not enough for good results most of the time…
  • May be not perfect for some large scenes since there is no control over voxelization and there may be light leaking on distant objects.
  • 30fps is average for good results in small scenes like the Realistic Rendering project. And is on my GTX 780, so we are definitely not talking about a technology that can be used on many kinds of projects right now.

go into Engine\Config\BaseEngine.ini

go to the bottom and change VxgiMapSize to 64

See if that improves your performance.

@ rabellogb, thanks for clearing up. Hmm i’m curious how long it will take until technology “VXGI” is usable for full game development.
It’s almost a year after UE4 was released and we still have no functional alternative for light baking…

the best thing about technique is its scalability because you are able to reduce both the voxel resolution and the number of cones to compensate without a significantly noticeable drop in quality because of hardware filtering.

That change gives me 5 fps (from 13 to 18) and reduces the quality a little bit (some areas get darken). Some comparison : ://imgur/a/X5RMN

If you want better performance, 5 cones should be enough to provide decent quality (i.e. one in each direction of a surface). If they do implement “unlimited bounces” using the method I’ve suggested, 10 cones total (5 cones for intermediate bounce and 5 cones for final bounce) should provide convincing results.

The problem with less than 16 cones is that we start loosing definition on soft shadows. Then it will bring similar results to what we get with LPV (but without light leaking). Maybe the combination of VXGI with 5 cones and HBAO+ can bring nice results, but I couldn’t get the merged branches two work (editor crashes at start).

hi, i take a scifiHallway in marketplace and change to use a vxgi. the dark image is vxgi off and the image with different angle i set a high settings reflection.

i try again creation a new to relate a reflection problems but the same error happens. i dont now how i can to , the **** unicorn appears ehehehe.

When i setting a scifiHallway scene i saw that. orange text when the camera is in movement the text shown ok but and the camera stop text shown very strange

Yea githubs New page doesn’t work.

Strange, it worked for 3 issues that were filed already.

Now it shows githubs Unicorn, since a while already.

Yeah it looks like something’s wrong with your repository on Github, it’s the only Repo where I can’t open up a new.

What about Apex Particles, like glass shards & other destructibles from Mafia II, for example?

So apparently the team that worked on Far cry 4 used “NVIDIA GODWORKS”. Ha ha I have never heard of one before but it was used to create godrays. It uses light from the sun or from another very bright light source. Environments could look even more majestic. also would be an amazing integration !

Yes, is where you have to accept VXGI as not the silver bullet for graphics at point in time (maybe in the future it will be). The same thing is with reflections - which is why I have both SSR and VXGI specular turned on at the same time.

The key purpose I see for VXGI is diffuse gi - which is more efficient than any other gi technique that exists (i.e. highest quality for performance), with exception of the light leaking of course. I say technique is more efficient because the more diffuse you make it (the wider you set the cone angles), the faster it is, whereas almost any other technique is the complete opposite because they have to be blurred manually.

I was the one that posted these 3 issues a while ago. Now I can’t seem to post any new issues either - getting that unicorn.

How do you activate both techniques at the same time? when I turn VXGI specular on, it seems to automatically deactivate SSR.

Another I’ve found which I can’t post in the github repository is with the view dependency. seems to occur with spotlights and emissive lighting, when I look in a certain direction, the gi turns off. I believe that the view dependency of the voxelization (i.e. only voxelizing what the viewer can see) is what’s causing problem. Can you provide a way to turn off viewer-dependency? I understand that is for optimizing performance, but for interior scenes with small amounts of lighting it is causing problem.