NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Hello, may I ask when the 4.20 integrated version of GameWorks will be launched? 4.20 it seems that there are a lot of great new features that people want to try very much, but I’ve been waiting for the 4.20 of the Gameworks integration version, and I’m looking forward to the 4.20 integration you can make early! O O

Nvidia hasn’t released yet a single 4.20 gameworks branch, so if someone actually updated these things for 4.20, that someone would have to manually upgrade each gameworks tech to be compatible with 4.20, one by one. I’ve done for few techs in past but doing it for every tech separately would probably take forever, it’s not something at least I plan to do. Nvidia will update their branches eventually and that will make it more feasible to make these merged branches as well.

Does anyone know how to integrate GameWorks into a single engine so I’m not switching between multiple builds? :slight_smile:

Just look around threads latest pages, there are multiple forks for 4.19 from people :slight_smile: Also how to merge things yourself has been covered quite few times, basically you need to learn how to use git and it’s mergetools (and probably want to use some 3rd party merge tool for easier merging).

As Derjvyn replied, 4.20-Physics is indeed only some physics modifications I’ve made for UE4, it’s not related to GameWorks, I might add Blast to the Physics branch tho as it’s physics related.

Also, the wmf media error should be fixed on the latest version of the 4.19-GameWorks repo :slight_smile: (it also wasn’t really an related to my GameWorks merge only, same happens on official 4.19.2 afaik, I pulled the fix from 4.20 for particular).

I just pushed Nvidia Blast (1.1.3) into my 4.20 physics branch: https://github//UnrealEngi…e/4.20-Physics

branch contains option for fixed timestepped physics (with interpolation) and Blast. I won’t add more tech to branch, just felt Blast suited that branch as it’s physics related.

Okay thank you. One more thing, the GameWorks documentation gives a tutorial on how to set up particle but the Flex drop down menu in Cascade is missing. What do I do ?

Hey all, I’ve tried compiling in the past and had the same. Reinstalled Visual Studio 2017 and it’s still happening.

Any idea?

1>------ Build started: Project: ShaderCompileWorker, Configuration: Development_Program x64 ------
1>Creating makefile for ShaderCompileWorker (no existing makefile)
1>Performing full C++ include scan (no include cache file)
1>UnrealBuildTool : error : Could not find definition for module ‘PacketHandler’ (referenced via Target -> ShaderCompileWorker.Build.cs -> TargetPlatform.Build.cs)
1>D:\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(44,5): error MSB3075: The command “…..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat ShaderCompileWorker Win64 Development -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild” exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run command.
1>Done building project “ShaderCompileWorker.vcxproj” – FAILED.
2>------ Build started: Project: UE4, Configuration: Development_Editor x64 ------
2>Creating makefile for UE4Editor (no existing makefile)
2>Performing full C++ include scan (no include cache file)
2>UnrealBuildTool : error : Could not find definition for module ‘PacketHandler’ (referenced via Target -> Launch.Build.cs -> Engine.Build.cs)
2>D:\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(44,5): error MSB3075: The command “…..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild” exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run command.
2>Done building project “UE4.vcxproj” – FAILED.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 2 failed, 1 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

yes, i have aintergration of unreal engine 4 with gameworks and truesky 4.19.2

Made a mini update on with a 4.20 GameWorks merge:
https://github//UnrealEngi…4.20-GameWorks

It currently contains UE 4.20.1, Blast and Flow.

Worth noting that I did make a bit hacky fix for Flow’s support, 4.20 added GPU indices on and I didn’t really want to spend too much time figuring out what Flow’s renderer code does there so I just made the thing use only first gpu index there, may potentially break things so I don’t suggest to try fork with enabled.

Thanks for all your hard work on - it’s much appreciated. I’m really eager to sit down and dig in with your physics branch, but I need to finish my major project before I get distracted yet again, haha.

Keep it up! You are pretty much the only “goto” person with stuff, these days. I can’t help but be curious: are you using stuff in your own projects (or perhaps client work), or are you just being a diligent nerd?

[quote=“, post:4930, topic:16686”]

Made a mini update on with a 4.20 GameWorks merge:
https://github//UnrealEngi…4.20-GameWorks

It currently contains UE 4.20.1, custom things I’ve exposed in past, Blast and Flow.

please update hairworks in 4.20 thank you

@ The work you’re doing is amazing. Thank you so much! I’m not sure if anyone’s asked before, but do you have any plans to support VRWorks once it’s updated?

All those physics related things are based on custom work I did a long time ago, I published fixed timestepping for 4.15 and later made also contact modifications public for 4.18 so others may benefit from (worth noting that Epic exposed contact modifications partly now on 4.20 but you still need custom engine code to use it - which is what my current changes do now). Basically if you do custom vehicles or other advanced physics and/or physics networking, you often want changes like these to gain more control over physics. As for using GameWorks itself, I don’t really use it on any project atm, I do these merges for testing purposes only. I keep updating these repos nowadays mainly to stay on top of things: to know where GameWorks tech is going and to know what kind of structural changes UE4 has.

HairWorks is at the end of my list to add but I might check if it’s an easy add, no promises though.

I think someone has asked before. VRWorks is pretty much no-go for bigger merges like these, mainly because it alters rendering pipeline from many same places as these other techs and I don’t really have experience nor motivation for rebuilding the clashing parts. I’m fairly certain you could merge VRWorks with select GameWorks techs (like Blast, Flex, Flow) but these would need to be tested on case by case basis. And ultimately, I don’t have VR gear so I couldn’t even test if it works properly so that makes the whole process impossible from my end (as testing often reveals all kinds of issues and I can imagine part would be way more important when dealing with VR).

Very understandable. Was wondering because VRWorks with HBAO and VXGI would look ■■■■ good. If only it was easier to merge.

Added TXAA and Volumetric Lighting to 4.20-GameWorks merge

It now contains UE 4.20.1, Blast, Flow, TXAA and Volumetric Lighting. I spend a long time yesterday porting FleX as well but while I got it to compile, it still crashes on play so I’ll keep investigating if I still can fix it (I’ll not include it at state).

Further note about FleX integration, FleX fluids, ropes, rigidbodies all work on my current 4.20 port, but I get crash whenever there is a softbody in the scene. I think it’s related to crashreport: https://issues.unrealengine/issue/UE-60339
For the time being, I think I’ll just wait what fix Epic pushes into 4.20.2 for (there wasn’t anything related on their 4.20 or dev branches yet).

Meanwhile, I’ve pushed work-in-progress version for UE 4.20.1 and FleX only :
https://github//UnrealEngi…/4.20-FleX
Just keep in mind that softbodies will cause hard crash on it + I never even tried to package with it as I wanted it to work in the editor first.

edit -> I also briefly looked into VXGI branch merge but it requires quite much work from the renderers side so I’ll not merge it for now. Same applies to HairWorks. I hope Nvidia will eventually push 4.20 versions on their UE4 forks, I can then do simple merge for the missing techs.

edit 2 -> FleX should run now, I’ve disabled the ue4 check that halted the execution, would need a better fix for FleX side of things though.

hi @ you mentioned some promising techniques for optimizing the dynamic cascade shadow performance. Is there any progression about that? Cryengine has an interesting about shadows:

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​

Thank you very much for your work and look forward to the arrival of the 4.20 integrated version.

@ Ok i see thanks for response! :slight_smile: